32. Regrets

4 months earlier

4 months earlier

-Troy-

Max and I got accepted to the football team right before our freshman year ended. The coach wanted to have a three-day "camp" on the third weekend of the summer. It was kind of like a kick-start for the season. We spent the entire weekend at school, sleeping in the sport hall and getting to know our teammates. Most of the time we were at the football field, learning to play. It was a lot of fun.

It was Sunday, and the last day of the camp. I was having trouble sleeping on the hard floor with so many snoring jocks around, so I left the sports hall to get some fresh air around six in the morning.

I had only shorts and a hoodie over my tank top, but the morning was really warm. I knew the day would be smoldering hot, so I enjoyed the cool wind as long as I could. I wandered around the football field, feeling excited about being on the team.

I didn't pay much attention to my surroundings. At one point I was completely alone, but shortly after, when I looked around, I saw someone sitting on the bleachers. It was Luke, and I waved at him cheerily before I jogged to him.

"I forgot you never sleep," I joked when I stopped next to him.

"I do sleep," he muttered quietly.

I sat down next to him without saying anything. Luke wasn't exactly the most outgoing guy there was. For some reason, he had become our friend, even though he was two years older than Max and me. He had taught us to play properly, so we had a better chance to get on the team, and his efforts had finally paid off.

"Troy, I..." Luke spoke, but when I turned to look at him, he didn't seem like he was going to continue.

"What?" I asked with a frown – he looked troubled somehow.

"I like you," he breathed out quietly, staring at the ground.

I stopped breathing for a moment. Luke wasn't the kind of guy to say such things. I guess I knew exactly what he meant, but at the same time, his words just didn't sink in.

"As a friend, right?" I said and laughed nervously.

"No," he muttered, and he still refused to look at me.

I felt my stomach turn upside down. What the hell was I supposed to say to him?! He was obviously speaking the truth – he would never joke about things like that! He never joked at all, period! But what could I say to him? He was the captain, for crying out loud!

I just stared at him, and the silence was growing almost painful.

"O-oh... I see," I muttered and tore my eyes off him. "I..."

"Would you go out with me?" he asked timidly. "Could you even... consider that?"

"I... I... I... let me think about it," I said and cursed myself immediately.