75. City Boy No More

-Max-

-Max-

I was a bit nervous about the trip now that Mrs. Jenkins knew about Freddy's little prank. She kept a close eye on me and Sky, and whenever we were acting too fondly toward each other, she gave us nasty looks over her shoulder. It was like she had a third eye on the back of her head, one that could see through her seat. She never said anything, but she clearly had the wrong idea about how far our relationship was. She was at least suspicious of us. Or she was just worried.

Either way, she really had nothing to worry about. I just wanted to be a kid in every sense of the word now that Sky had shown me it was more than all right to be one.

The drive to the camping site was fun. Sky was talking about all the things he wanted to do and see. He even mentioned he wanted to see a wolf, but I guess my expression at that point was not a manly one, since they all rushed to assure me there were no wolves in that area. Good. I was getting used to snakes and bunnies and rats, but a wolf was not on the list of things I wanted to see in the wild.

The more they talked about their previous trips and adventures they had been on together, the more I felt like a sheltered city boy. And I was a bit envious of how tight their family seemed. Even Freddy was excited about the trip. I had to admit that I still saw him more as the stereotypical cool kid who would be embarrassed to have anything to do with his family than an actual human being with a real personality. He was not around much, so I didn't actually know the guy, but he seemed like a good kid, and a good big brother to Sky – even with the pranks and all – and I was glad I had the opportunity to get to know their whole family better now.

When Mr. Jenkins finally announced we were almost there, Sky nearly jumped through the roof. I laughed at his excitement and took his hand in mine when he started bouncing in his seat. From the moment Sky and I had started dating, I knew that camping would be something I'd be doing often from now on, but it was not until that moment when I realized it wouldn't be long until no one could call me a city boy anymore. I was excited as well, and I was really starting to like camping.

Once we arrived at the campsite, we stopped by a small building at the side of the road, and we were given a map and a small welcome speech by an older woman. She quickly told us where to find the few facilities the campsite had before waving us off with a friendly smile. Mr. Jenkins continued driving until we reached a small, quiet parking lot.

"This is it! Remember to take everything with you so we don't have to walk all the way back here," he said, and we all did as he said.

"We're here! We're here! We are finally here!" Sky jumped around with a big smile on his face as we started making our way to the designated camping area.

"It looks so pretty here," Mrs. Jenkins said, and I had to agree.

According to the map, we were miles away from any kind of civilization. The parking lot had room for maybe twenty cars, and there were only three of those besides ours. We were on top of a hill, surrounded by an old forest with tall trees. Everything had turned completely yellow now, and the leaves were falling all around us in the quiet wind. On our left, behind the tops of the spruces, I could see a hint of the lake where we were heading to, and it seemed like a long hike down.