19. Saturday At Last

-Sky-

-Sky-

Getting through the rest of Thursday and then the entire Friday was nearly torture for me. Time went by way too slowly, and even though I loved spending time with Max and Troy at school, I was way too excited for Saturday. I just couldn't wait! The project was happening after all, and if the camping trip crossed my mind even briefly, I got way too hyper for my own good.

Thankfully, Max didn't seem to mind my enthusiasm. I may have annoyed him to death several times during Friday, but he wasn't showing it. He was so great. And he seemed happy as well that we didn't have to change our project after all!

Then it was finally Saturday! I woke up at six in the morning, and I didn't even try to sleep longer. Instead, I started packing my bag. Again. For the hundredth time. I had written down everything we needed on our trip to the barn, so I carefully checked the list as I was going through my bag. I had absolutely everything we needed – even my parents couldn't think of anything else to add – but I still had the feeling I was forgetting half of it.

When I was done checking my list, I sat down on the ground and massaged my aching ankle. I couldn't see my splint anywhere. I had kept it on when I went to sleep, but apparently, I had taken it off during the night. I had no memory of doing so, so I must've done it in my sleep. I scolded myself for it. Even though we now had a way to get to the barn, I still needed to walk around while we were there, so I couldn't afford to make the ankle any worse than it already was. It still wasn't showing any signs of improvement, and it was entirely my own fault.

I sighed as I pushed myself up from the floor. I finally saw the black-and-blue splint in the furthest corner of my room, and limped to it. Once I had pulled it on, it was easier to walk, but I still hated it. It was too hot, and I couldn't wear a shoe with it, so I had to be careful not to get it dirty. As if it was even possible for me to keep it clean – the second I saw something interesting, I forgot all about the mud and puddles on my path.

After getting dressed, I still had way too much time to spare. My entire family was still fast asleep, and I didn't want to wake them up, but I was getting hungry already. I tried to be as quiet as possible when I made my way to the door and stepped outside, but of course I tripped on the carpet. On my way down, I knocked over a small table right next to my door, and my whole family was successfully awoken.

"Sky?" Mom's sleepy voice came from behind the closed door of their bedroom. I didn't need to ask how she knew it was me making all that noise – it was always me.

I groaned silently at my luck as I pushed the table back up while Mom opened their door.

"Why are you awake so early?" she asked sleepily when she stepped out into the hallway.

"I couldn't sleep," I whined in misery, trying to get up from the floor.

"Why don't you have your crutches?" she asked and helped me up. "I'll go get them for you."