12. A Little Too Much

-Sky-

-Sky-

I wasn't sure if I had ever been so eager to go to school as I was the next morning. I had friends! Friends to hang out with even after school! I couldn't even believe how fast it had happened. First, I was all alone, being laughed at, and next... I was friends with Max Peterson and Troy Dominic! I mean, everyone at school wanted to be friends with them, and they had invited me to a sleepover in their treehouse!

Oh, and my parents had to be already tired of hearing about that said treehouse. I kind of rambled about it. Until my voice was hoarse.

But I could tell they were happy for me. I knew they'd been worried and regretted taking me away from my old friends, so they were relieved to hear I finally made new ones.

While I ate breakfast – forcing every bite down because I was too excited – Dad was watching the news in the living room while Mom backed lunch ready for work. I was still talking about the treehouse and the movie night and the video game and just how awesome Max and Troy were.

"That's so nice, honey," Mom told me for the hundredth time when I paused to take a breath.

"They're so great. I just hope I don't scare them away. But they said they're geeks too. Troy knows so much about video games. I thought football was bad enough but at least I know the ball needs to go to the goal, but when Troy started talking about graphics and stuff, I got so lost..."

"That's so nice, honey," Mom said. "They sound like good kids."

"They are! Everyone at school loves them!"

"Hey, are you guys listening to this?" Dad asked in the living room. "Looks like the weather will get pretty bad."

He continued talking about what they said on the news, but I didn't really care – I was used to bad weather – so I tuned out and continued on with my story about Max and Troy. They didn't let me go too far, though.

"Sky? Did you hear what I said?" Dad asked. "You heard the warning, right?"

"I did!" I told him.

"Good. Better come straight home right after school," he said, emerging into the kitchen to talk to Mom. "I think I'll go check the backyard before leaving for work. We don't want to lose anything."

"Max's backyard was so huge! The trees were white oaks, and–"

"Sky? You did hear what I said, right?" Dad asked again.

"I did, don't worry," I said reassuringly. "I'll come straight home after school," I promised.

"Good. Be careful out there, and listen to your teachers," Dad said before kissing Mom on the cheek. "You too, honey."

"I will, I will," I muttered absentmindedly, hoping the time would go by faster so I could go to school already.