56. Happy Little Worlds

-Sky-

-Sky-

"And that gets filed under I didn't know that," Max chuckled.

I let out a small giggle, stretching my legs. We were in my room, lying on my bed and trying to focus on our project about the owls, but our conversations kept changing from animals to music to our mutual dislike for fashion to pretty much everything else. I was telling Max about my wealthy uncle, who used to take me with him when he went camping or hiking or exploring the wilds, and that it was probably because of him that I fell so deeply in love with nature.

"He has always been the odd one in our family," I continued. "He never liked people, and everyone in the family always joked about me being the only one he liked. I don't think it's true because he likes Freddy too. I mean, at least he buys expensive gifts for him too. Mom always complains about him spoiling us. I don't think she's serious though..."

"Have you seen him at all after moving here?" Max asked, pulling me closer to him.

"Nope..." I sighed in sadness. "I have talked with him on the phone, but it's not the same."

"I'd like to meet him one day," Max said sincerely. I gave him a small grin, showing I didn't believe it was such a good idea. "What?" he asked with a frown.

"Well, he is pretty weird. Like, I'm practically normal compared to him," I chuckled.

"You are perfectly normal," he said, and his frown deepened.

"No, I'm not, and I don't even want to be normal," I said from the bottom of my heart. "Normal sounds so boring. I tried to be like everyone else here, but as you can see, it didn't quite work out," I added, pointing at the clothes I was wearing. I was wearing the jeans and the hoodie my mom and Freddie had selected for me a month ago, and they already were worn down and filled with holes.

Max started laughing and hugged me before he grabbed my school bag. "I must say, I like this better than the black one," he said, studying the picture of a turtle on the green canvas. "You had this before we started dating," he added.

"I guess Bella likes it more, too," I sighed and turned to squint my eyes at the tiger-striped murderer of my black backpack. She pretended she didn't see me while listening to the sounds coming outside my room. "I can't be mad at her, though. She's so cute!" I laughed eventually.

"And she's right. This is perfect for you," Max said, tapping the bag.

"I was embarrassed of it," I admitted, and took it from him. "I wanted to fit in, and I knew having this would make things worse for me," I said quietly.

Some kids had tried to pick on me after I started using the green turtle bag again. It didn't bother me that much – I did feel a bit bad about it – because I had a boyfriend and cool friends, so I didn't have to be afraid of being left alone ever again. I was going to just ignore their mean jokes. But Max being Max, he didn't tolerate their behavior.