21. Mixed Signals

-Sky-

-Sky-

Luke's ATV was bigger than the one I was used to driving, but thankfully, the forest was easy to drive through all the way to the barn.

Well, I didn't remember much of our journey after we finally reached the barn, since Max had held his hands on my waist the entire time. I did, however, remember driving over roots and smaller rocks on purpose, so he had to hold on to me even tighter. Whenever I felt his chest pressing against my back, I had to fight back my urge to get all giddy about it.

Once we got safely down to the bottom of the hill and the barn was looming up ahead, I stopped the ATV and turned the engine off.

"Why did you stop here? The barn is still far away," Max asked.

"It's not that far," I said, taking off my helmet. "I don't want to scare the owls if they're still here."

"Oh," Max muttered and took his helmet off too. "Right. I didn't even think of that. I would've ruined the project already..."

"Don't worry," I said and turned to look at him with a smile on my face, planting my hand on his knee. "With me, you'll learn all about being stealthy."

He looked at my hand, then lifted his eyes to mine. I lost myself in them. His brown eye was sparkling like the sun, and his blue eye twinkled like the stars... I was completely sold. He was smiling back at me without saying a word. He was so close to me I could almost feel the warmth of his body on mine. His leg felt strong under my hand, and for a moment, I completely forgot he wasn't mine.

"We should set up our camp," I said breathlessly when I realized how long I'd been staring at him.

I hurried to get up on my feet, but I had forgotten all about my poor ankle. The entire leg gave up under my weight and I would've ended up planting my face to the ground if Max hadn't caught me.

"We're not in a hurry," Max said in a low voice as he pulled me to sit back in front of him. "This place is pretty, and I want to take a moment to appreciate it," he continued, placing his hand on mine that was still resting on his knee.

"A-a-are y-you s-sure...?" I stammered, feeling my face turn bright red. "I can't h-help much. It might t-take some... time..."

"I'm a quick learner," Max whispered into my ear, sending shivers down my spine and into my soul.

His face was just an inch away from me. His lips were so close to mine I could feel his minty breath on my face. His hand was big and warm and completely covering my own. His other hand was resting on my side...

I forgot how to breathe. Was I reading the situation right?

But... But... no! He was just trying to be friendly, right? The way he was holding me was far from friendly, but I couldn't explain it otherwise! If, by some unbelievable miracle, Max liked boys too, he would choose someone like Troy or Luke or pretty much anyone else than me! So what in the world was happening?!