Part 19: His Complicated World

The semester is ending in 2 weeks and everyone is back at reviewing again for the final exams. Cafes near the university is starting to be filled with students and their study materials, the school library starts to be crowded to the point that there would be no seats available.

Today, Keira was walking on the corridor alone heading to the library, wanting to try her luck to find a single seat, where she could spend her break time to study her notes. She uses the back stairs, which is rarely used by the students, as it is more quiet and peaceful.

Surprisingly, Keira finds a familiar figure sitting at the end of the stairs, with his head down on his knees. She carefully walks towards him and pats his back.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asks.

Patrick lifts his head to see who the person is and sees Keira's image, looking dearly at him.  The light of the sun, shining behind her as her hair slowly falls from the back of her head. The light reflects her almond-colored eyes and her sweet scent filled the small space they are in.

"Pat?" Keira asks again which wakes Patrick from his day dream.

"Uh.. Yeah.. I'm okay.. I.. Uh... I fell asleep.... yea.."

"Why are you sleeping here?" Asked Keira as she sits down beside him.

Patrick could not keep but look at Keira at that moment, but staring too long might make her uncomfortable so he tries to put away his eyes off her.

"Uh.. there was no space in the library.. I got no where else to stay that's quiet.. so.."

"Right, it's nice to be here, it's quiet, not much people pass by.."

"Are you on your way to the library?" asked Patrick.

"Yep. Wanted to try my luck to find a seat." Keira chuckled.

"Im not sure if there is still an available seat.."

Keira stood up and took a deep breath.

"Well, still gotta try!" she said.

"Will you be okay here?" she added, looking at Patrick and his sleepy eyes.

"Uhm.. Yeah. I'm fine." Patrick answered as he smiled at her.

"Okay!" she replied.

Patrick stared at her as she walked away.

"Make sure you study for the exams! You can't fail!" Keira shouted before she's finally gone.

Patrick smiled but his expression instantly vanished as he sighed. His face started to show feelings of complication. He closes his eyes and placed his hands on his face. Continuous sighs are heard in the empty stair case, and the atmosphere felt dark even when the light shines brightly through the glass window.

What Patrick feels, he can't easily explain. It's a mixed emotion with sadness, despair, frustration, anxiety. Just what is making him feel this way?