When A Star Dies

Part: Stardust Crusaders

Pairing(s): None

Summary:
What if, Jotaro never really did win the battle against Dio...?

Content Warning:
- death | gore | violence | agony/pain
- vampire!jotaro au
- despair | grief | general angst
- delusion | hallucinations

Word-Count: 2,837
Published: April 18th, 2021
Status:  minorly-edited

Kittyccino this is for you [blow kiss]
___________________________________

Every breath was painful as if the oxygen he struggled to breath in was poisoned as it traveled through his body hardly numbing the pain that seared itself along with it. Blood seeped into the concrete below him as it spewed from his mouth as a raging fit of cough forced him to almost throw up. Rubble and small bits of debris from where he hit the ground had pierced his skin and tore through his clothes as if it were all made of butter.

He could hardly even see as darkness formed in the corner of his eyes and was rapidly moving in. He could stand, his knees weak and legs feeling as if they had been shattered upon impact. Jotaro had managed to keep his neck and spine from snaping against the cold Egyptian road, but the rest of his body had been at the mercy of gravity. It was hard to hear too, it seemed his brain could only focus upon the agony that was beginning to fade. Yet, that wasn’t a good sign. He could feel his heartbeat slow, as blood escaped him through dozens of wounds.

Heeled golden boots landed lightly beside his head. Jotaro couldn’t even turn to look at the monster fearing that if he moved, he would only lose blood faster. Dio sneered at the sight before him. The teenager was as helpless as a cornered mouse before him now. Even if he did nothing, the Joestar would still die where he laid.

“Look at you, all out of defiance.” his silky voice carried through the empty air, “It seems that fate has finally chosen the correct victor. I, shall finally be free of the shackles that has bound me for centuries to the losing side. With you, your bloodline shall be wiped from this earth. Your dear mother will die, your grandfather is already gone. Your friends are dead as well – how could I forget them. So, that leaves you, to die all alone.” his fangs flashed in the moonlight, and even through his dying mind Jotaro could feel rage mounting as he spoke.

The blonde bent down beside the dying man, “So - tell me, do you have any final words?” He didn’t receive an answer, instead a mixture of salvia and blood was spat onto his face. Dio’s features twitched with rage and he gingerly wiped it off – his red eyes blazed.  With one quick motion his plan to let Jotaro die slowly fell apart as he sliced the man’s head from his body. A fountain of blood gushed out from the stump that was the teenager’s neck. It created a small pool that was the crater Jotaro’s impact had caused. Dio sat there watching until the blood ceased to flow. He grinned and a howl of laughter escaped from deep within his chest, he had won! He was finally free to take this world for everything it owed him.

After a few moments, his laughter died out. His shoulders slumped: and rather than being filled with triumph and joy, or his version of joy, he felt empty. Hollow. His red gaze stared at the body of the Joestar at his feet and he furrowed his brows, confused. He had won. This had been his ultimate goal ever since he realized that Jonathan’s bloodline had the audacity to carry on. A long sigh escaped his lips. “I have everything I could ever want – so why, do I feel so discontent?”

He thought about it, trying to find the answer within the bowls of his own mind. Then, it hit him. Dio growled the sound was inhuman and he clenched his hands into fists – drawing blood as his nails sunk deep into the palms. He had spent two-hundred years locked in complete darkness. Straving to death yet, unable to die. Barely holding onto any shred of sanity and semblance of conscious thought. He had almost become an animal down there at the bottom of the sea, hardly being able to keep himself refined. At times: he had even forgot his name as the agony of hunger had shred through him day in and day out.