𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

❝ 𝐖𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐢𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐜𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐡𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐜, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝, 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧. ❞

NATASHA STOOD OVER Fury's body, letting silent tears slip down her cheeks. Steve was behind her, leaning against the wall. Thaea was leaning against the wall opposite him. She felt bad as they stood over their director's corpse, even if it wasn't her fault. Hill came in after a few moments and stopped beside Steve.

"I need to take him." She said quietly, still holding back her own tears. Steve looked between her, Natasha, and the body before nodding and stepping forward.

"Natasha," He whispered, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. Natasha gently placed a hand on Nick's forehead before walking away briskly. It was then that Thaea felt the shift in her emotions. She was very angry, and it was almost frightening. Thaea exchanged a knowing look with Steve as they both followed her into the hallway. "Natasha." Steve repeated. She whipped around, mascara tracks still on her cheeks.

"Why was Fury in your apartment?" She asked bluntly. Steve frowned before half-shrugging.

"I don't know." He answered honestly. Another man with dark hair and a goatee approached from behind him.

"Cap," He called. "They want you back at S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Yeah, give me a second." Steve replied before turning around. Thaea met his gaze and she shook her head slightly. He was not who he appeared to be.

"They want you now." The man persisted.

"Okay." Steve replied firmly before turning back to Natasha.

"You're a terrible liar." She said bluntly. She walked off, leaving Thaea with Steve.

"I guess I'm going with you, then. Besides, you'll need my help." The girl said plainly, jerking her chin at the retreating form of Goatee Man.

"S.T.R.I.K.E team escort Mr. Rogers back to S.H.I.E.L.D immediately for questioning." Someone's radio called.

"I told him." Goatee man interrupted. Steve looked to Thaea warily before turning and walking back to the man. Thaea followed, earning a look from Goatee Man.

"Let's go." Steve said. Goatee Man nodded, calling for his team to move out. They busted through the hospital doors like rhinos.

"I don't recall seeing you take down the Chitauri in New York." Goatee Man said, frowning and looking back at Thaea.

"I was a little tied up." Thaea replied. He glanced between her and Rogers before turning back around.

-

Thaea followed Steve all the way back to S.H.I.E.L.D and around the headquarters. They talked quietly, Steve filling her in on all that had happened outside the sphere. He told her of how Nick had appeared in his apartment, and how he had said that S.H.I.E.L.D was compromised. He appeared on the outside like he trusted her, but she could hear that he wasn't sure yet.