𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

❝ 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨? ❞

❝ 𝐘𝐞𝐬. ❞

SAM HAD MET up with them in a less-populated area of town. Steve had to drag Bucky through back alleys and empty streets as to not be seen. They made it into an abandoned auto shop, where they kept Bucky contained by trapping his metal arm beneath a vice. Thaea sat and chewed on her lip as they waited for him to regain consciousness. She could have easily woken him up, but she was still angry with Steve so she made him wait.

"Hey, Cap." Sam called after seeing Bucky stir. Thaea watched as he frowned at the vice, and grimaced at the new bruises on his face. 

"It's him." She said quietly, meeting his gaze. They stared at each other with blank faces until Steve stepped forward. Bucky groaned as he tried to sit up.

"Steve." He mumbled.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asked, even though Thaea had already just said.

"Your mom's name was Sarah." Bucky said, looking up at him. Thaea tilted her head. Maybe all the punches jarred his memory into place. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." He whispered, chuckling to himself. Thaea pushed away the small smile that tried to creep onto her face.

"Can't read that in a museum." Steve said, smirking.

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asked, giving Steve a look. Thaea raised a single eyebrow at him.

"What did I do?" Bucky asked.

"Enough."

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen." He whispered to himself. 

"I could show you, if you like." Thaea offered quietly. Bucky looked up at her. Steve shook his head, frowning.

"You don't-" Steve started.

"Please." Bucky whispered. Her eyes glowed slightly as she slipped a tendril of her own mind inside his. She showed him what she saw. The bodies, the chaos, the fighting. He could see them through her mind, through her memories. He felt the cold wisp at the back of his neck. It was almost comforting, even though the visions he saw threaded guilt through every vein. He already knew what he was capable of. "Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."

"Who was he?" Steve asked.

"I don't know."

"Zemo." Thaea said quietly. Sam frowned at her and she turned to him. "He ran past me quickly. All I could get was a last name."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup, the doctor- Zemo, did all that just so he could get ten minutes with you." Steve stated. "We need to do better than that."

"He wanted to know about Siberia." Bucky informed. "Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he want to know that?" Steve asked.

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier." Bucky replied. Steve frowned. He and Sam left the room to discuss a plan, leaving Thaea to watch over Bucky. She didn't take much time before walking over to the vice, and using the controls to release his arm. He pulled it out reluctantly, looking at her cautiously. 

"You're not afraid?" He asked, standing, looking her up and down. Not to objectify, but to point out the fragile state of her physical body. Like she didn't already know. Thaea looked up at him. He towered over her almost an entire foot. It was like he was trying to intimidate him.