𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

❝ 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐞, 𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞. ❞

WHEN THAEA AWOKE, she felt an arm around her waist. She heard the water around her and felt the cold sand as her limp body was set on the ground. She coughed and spluttered, spitting up the water she had swallowed. There was a deep thud as another body was placed beside hers. She used any strength left to tilt her head. Steve. He spluttered, coughing up more water than she did. He was alive. She heard heavy footsteps, and turning again, she watched as the dark figure, the one with the metal arm, walked away.

-

When she woke up again, she could hear a faint beeping in the background, and the sound of music. She barely opened her eyes when she heard a big sigh. She moved her head, seeing Sam shaking his head at her. She grinned at him, lifting her good hand to rub her eyes. The curtain in the room separated her hospital bed from Steve's, and he was still out. She and Sam sat in silence, peacefully listening to Trouble Man until Steve began to stir. He blinked as he woke. Sam had fallen asleep, and when Steve met Thaea's gaze, she gestured over to him.

"On your left." Steve said quietly, waking Sam and making him smile.

-

A few weeks later, Thaea accompanied Sam and Steve to visit Nick's grave. It was a bit unsettling now knowing that he was not actually inside it.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before." A familiar voice called behind the three. Thaea smirked as Nick approached them. He had swapped his usual black mission attire and eyepatch for a hoodie, jeans, and sunglasses. Thaea realized that maybe Nick never judged her eyes because she had never judged his.

"You get used to it." Steve replied, smirking.

"We've been data mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship." Fury said, making Steve frown, and Thaea raise an eyebrow. "I'm headed to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come." Looking to Steve. "Of course, you're welcome to join me as well, Erythaea."

"I'll think about it, Nicholas." She replied, earning a scowl from the man.

"There's something I gotta do, first." Steve answered.

"What about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities." Nick offered.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy." Sam answered.

"Alright, then." He shook each of their hands. "Anybody ask for me, tell them they can find me right here." He smiled, gesturing to his grave. Thaea smirked.

"You should be honoured. That's about as close as he gets to saying 'thank you'." Natasha said, approaching from the other direction. They walked up to meet her.

"Not going with him?" Steve asked.

"No."

"Not staying here?"

"Nah. I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while."

"I'm counting on it." She smiled. "That thing you asked for. I called in a few favours from Kiev." She handed him a file, which he gripped tightly. "Will you do me a favour? Call that nurse?"

"She's not a nurse."

"And you're not a S.H.I.E.L.D agent."

"What was her name again?" Steve asked. Sam and Thaea rolled their eyes simultaneously.

"Sharon." Natasha replied, smiling. "She's nice." She leaned over, pressing a kiss to Steve's cheek before walking away. "Be careful Steve. You might not want to pull at that thread." Steve opened the file. Thaea walked over and looked at it from beside him, Sam looking over their shoulders. It was Bucky. Frozen, just waiting to be un-iced. Thaea had told Steve everything about what she saw in Bucky's mind. His pain, his trauma. Thaea put her hand on Steve's shoulder.

"You're going after him." Sam concluded. Steve nodded, pressing his lips together.

"You don't have to come with me." Steve said, looking between Thaea and Sam. Thaea raised an eyebrow sarcastically.

"I know." Sam replied. "When do we start?"

Apologies for the short chapter, theydies and gentlethems. It just worked out better this way. Besides, new movie next chapter! Tomorrow.