𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞

❝ 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞.❞

BUCKY, OR THE version of himself that HYDRA had tortured him into, lay motionless at the bottomless pit of his mind. Thaea was thrilled, because as she looked down at him, at the Winter Soldier, the chains keeping him there were gone. The feelings of immense guilt and blame had vanished. Not vanished, but evolved from what they were into what they should be. Not blame, but still sadness. Mourning. She could not take away his emotion, but she could make sure it did not take over him like it had. He had been so overwhelmed by everything that he had almost snapped. He couldn't take it anymore. Until today. 

Thaea reached for that piece of Bucky, the Winter Soldier, and she took off his mask. She took off the arm, the tactical gear, she took off the rage, the triggers, until there was just him. Just Bucky, at his most vulnerable state, just living. Breathing. Being human. It was him. She let the mask, the symbol of what he had been forced to become, dissipate into nothingness. It was gone, and she made sure it would not come back. HYDRA couldn't get to that part of him anymore.

She resurfaced, falling back onto her hands in her tired state. Erasing an entire part of someone's mind was a lot of work, and Thaea realized just how much work as she fell asleep right there.

When Bucky opened his eyes, feeling the wispy tendrils slip out of his head, the sun had already set, and he couldn't feel Thaea's hands on his head anymore. He sat up, blinking, and turned to see her passed out on the ground. He carried her inside her hut and waited by the bedside to make sure she woke up. After a few hours, her eyes fluttered open and he released a small breath of relief. He had seen her chest rise and fall with her breath, but it was still unsettling for him to awaken and see her unconscious on the ground each time she exerted herself. He didn't want to be the cause of anyone else's pain, least of all hers. She sat up, meeting his gaze.

"Did it work?" She asked quietly. Bucky felt a weird feeling in his chest.

"Yeah." He replied, nodding and giving a small smile. Thaea smiled at the news, proud of not only herself but especially Bucky, for going through what he did and working so hard to push past it. He was shocked as she sat up and he felt her hand on top of his. Her touch was like electricity, and he didn't pull away as she squeezed his hand.

"You did it." She stated. She was proud of him. Steve would be happy to hear the news.

"I have you to thank for that." He replied, sheepishly glancing down at the floor and looking back up at her. She shook her head.

"You're stronger than you think, Bucky." She said softly. He pursed his lips at the floor and shook his head. Inside, he could feel the difference. It almost felt like a piece of him was missing, but more like when your head becomes clear after a bout of sickness.

"I should let you sleep. Thank you." He said, standing, and Thaea could have sworn his eyes were a little glassy, but he was free. That was all that mattered.

-

When she woke up the next morning, she noticed Ayo, one of the Dora Milaje, walking toward the huts with a basket of food in her hands. She handed it over.

"So?" She asked hopefully. Thaea smiled and nodded. Ayo gave a small smile. "Good. I knew he could do it." She walked over with Thaea to some small chairs outside, basking in the warm morning sun.