𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

❝ 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰, 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐢𝐬. ❞ 

❝ 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟. ❞

"THE FIRST RULE of going on the run: Walk." Natasha said, eyeing Steve as he looked around nervously. The three of them had changed into more casual clothing, and were now walking through a mall. Thaea was forced to maintain an act of blindness, as Steve took 20 minutes to argue that it would draw attention that she was wearing sunglasses indoors. She finally gave in, and was now using a white cane to keep up the act. She figured someone ought to be offended.

"If I run in these shoes, they're going to fall off." Steve grumbled, nearly tripping over the laces of his untied skater high-tops for the fourth time. Natasha led them into Apple, where they used the display MacBooks to finally look at what was on the hard drive.. "The drive has a level six homing program, so as soon as we boot up, S.H.I.E.L.D will know where we are."

"How much time do we have?" Steve asked, looking around. Thaea nudged him and motioned for him to be less suspicious.

"About nine minutes from now." Natasha explained, plugging the hard drive in. "Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some kind of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?" Steve asked. Thaea was busy tuning into her own head, listening carefully to the thoughts of everyone within a certain radius. She'd know if they were close. Natasha huffed.

"The person who wrote this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly." She answered vaguely. "I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program S.H.I.E.L.D developed to detect hostile malware so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

"We've got company." Thaea said quietly. She could hear the agents pull up outside.

"Can I help you guys with anything?" An employee asked, smiling.

"Oh, no, my fiancee was helping me out with honeymoon destinations." Natasha said, smiling and gripping Steve's shoulders.

"Right. We're getting married." Steve said awkwardly. The employee gave a weird look toward Thaea.

"Maid of honour." She said, raising her hand but looking directly in front of her instead of at the guy. "I'm here for consultation." She said, smiling. The employee nodded, smiling back even though she 'couldn't see it.'

"Congratulations!" The employee said. "Where are you guys thinking of going?" The computer beeped as it narrowed in on a location.

"New Jersey." Steve said quickly.

"Huh." The employee replied, somewhat surprised. Thaea agreed, that would be a terrible place to honeymoon. He stood silent for a moment, staring at Steve in recognition. "I have the exact same glasses."

"Wow, you two are practically twins." Natasha said from the computer. The employee laughed, gesturing to Steve.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen. If you guys need anything, I've been Aaron." He said, walking away.