Bullet in a Gun

I recommend listening to Bullet in a Gun by Imagine Dragons for the full effect.

P a I n.

When he woke up it was all pain, and not the kind you could describe normally. Heart throbbing, and ever extent after that was an extreme.

Opening his eyes was easy, but seeing nothing was always disappointing. It had been this way for what, months? Months alone against the wall in various forms of agony.

Purpled thought about his brother a lot. Where had he even been? Ponk was going to wait in the courtyard for him after that job, the same courtyard he got fucking captured by Punz and those other mercenaries.

For once, Punz actually won a fight, though Purpled wasn't sure he could have without the three other people beating on him. He had already broken a rib before getting off the roof, and that really did more damage than it should have.

A foreign cry scared him out of his thoughts, it was a raspy his, followed by a series of chirps.

Enderman?

Purpled could here the struggle as the unknown being was put next to him, an arm brushing his before it was clamped down. The skin was warm to the touch, and smooth as the surface of undistilled water. So it had to be an enderman!

Click.

The shadow froze at the sound, fear ripping through his organs and bloodstream to his pounding heart. That box, that damn box with the liquid killers inside. At this point, he didn't even care who it was next to him.

"Please don't hurt them," Purpled muttered before his usual burst of anxiety kicked in. There had been a fairly large amount of people in the spot of that enderman, "YOU FUCKING DO IT AND IM GONNA BLOW THIS PLACE TO THE MOON!"

Of course it was an empty threat, he couldn't do anything. Hell he'd kill to be even able to lie down. As usual the threats were no use, and he heart the thud as they pushed the other figure back still.

Purpled wasn't sure what the worst part was, the screams or the shaking he could feel against the wall, or the inevitable death that seemed to suit everyone but him. Most barely lasted long enough to talk a sentence, say goodbye.

Probably this was the worst one, considering it was a loud as fuck enderman and not a human. God damn it seemed to go on forever, and as usual the familiar setting kicked up a whole lot of PTSD for him.

Boots clicked as the pillagers walked away, and he heard a satisfied er.

Survivor?

It took a whole day before he got an answer, a small moan next to him, "Why?"

The question broke his heart, mainly because he didn't have an answer, "I don't know. You're the first one to survive this far besides me."

"I'm Ranboo by the way, I have a feeling I'm going to be blinded soon too aren't I?"

"Purpled, and yeah as soon as you start to show signs of abilities they will. If you don't mind, what do I look like? Haven't seen a mirror in a while."

The enderman chuckled, "Well for starters you're fucking short-"

"Well I bet everything looks short to you but I'm a big ass man you liar!" Purpled laughed, earning another jab at his esteem from the new companion.

And thus it began, a whole year of agony but with a little light in his day. Ranboo was someone to protect, and their relationship was the only thing he had a say in. It was just about the only reason to call upon the shadows, so Ranboo became his first ever trigger.

Now it was gone, and Purpled only felt the arms around him and the hollow inside of his being. Eyes clouded with misery and tears that he was never supposed to cry.

Sam hadn't spoken in a while, but Purpled could tell he was planning, when suddenly something occurred to him.

"Purpled can't you-"

"I'm not sure." The shadow interrupted, "I'm not sure anymore."

Sam grit his teeth, before standing both of them up, "I know this is tough shit but we are gonna be in even tougher shit if we don't find a way out now."

Purpled stuck his arms out, fingers twitching in the way they usually do, nothing happened, and the shadow pulled back his hands with a hiss.

"Dream wins, he was right." Purpled growled, rubbing his eyes, "He wins, it's over."

"That isn't possible what-"

"Don't you get it? For as long as I can remember Ranboo was the only reason I've used my shadows. The reason I've focused on training Schlatt the best I can is so he won't end up like me with a trigger built on something that won't last. It was only a matter of time, I say let me die."

Sam paused, his eyes narrow with sorrow, "You can't possibly mean that. Sure Ranboo may have been the start but Purpled SO many people are counting on you now. If you need a trigger to cast some shadows, maybe we speedrun triggers!"

Purpled gave him a frustrated look, "It doesn't work that way!"

The warden slipped an arm around his shoulder, a cocky grin on his face. The shadow rolled his eyes.

"Well by the laws of desperation it does now! The fact that Quackity isn't coming back already has me fearing the worst-"

"Let's not." Purpled interjected, "Quacks is slippery, he's gonna be fine."

"Or dead, he could be all nestled up in a body bag waiting for us to join him."

"That's not fair, you can't just say that!"

""Might as well throw Fundy in there as well we all saw what Dream did to him the first time. Oh and Schlatt! Word back in L'manburg was he never made it home-"

Sam watched the shadow sneer at him, fingers twitching at his sides. Purpled was gonna hate him, "YOU CUT IT OUT SAM!"

The warden bent down and picked up a piece of the pendant, it cut into his palm, blood squeezing from his fingers. Purpled lunged forward to take it from him, which was dodged with difficulty.

"What the fuck are you doing you're gonna hurt yourself!"

He loosened his grip, hand playing with the shard. It rested on his shoulder, ever so close to his ne-

Sam felt a static heat fly past his ear, obliterating the shard into a million smoking particles. The shadow's eyes turned violet, glowing as he stuck his arms out. Fog tightly wound around Sam.

"Be careful." Purpled ordered, his voice showing absolutely no emotion.

This was gonna suck when Sam made it even worse, please for the love of god don't immediately kill him.

"Ponk isn't your brother and he isn't my boyfriend-"

"How could you even say that! Don't you love him?" Purpled growled, the room becoming so bright with his unbalanced powers that Sam had to shut his eyes.

"I did, I still do. But Purpled Ponk doesn't care about us!" Sam started controlled, before it devolved into the truth escaping his mouth in yelling, "Ponk is and always has been a loner with his own compass that we can't follow-"

"♏︎♈︎♊︎♌︎♎︎♎︎♈︎♎︎♌︎♏︎♊︎♈︎♎︎♌︎♒︎♌︎♎︎♌︎"

The room exploded in a static blast, sensed Sam flying into the wall. He felt any uncovered skin painfully burn under the violet fire. After a minute things darkened back to normal, and he opened his eyes to see a glowy eyed Nightshade stepping through the broken bars.