Ch. 42 - Welcome Home, Ms. Lodge

I am terribly sorry for the delayed updates. I am still working on the story and will be finishing Part I these next few months as well as publish Part II. Thank you to everyone who has continued to love Jace and Avery. They're back. 

I will be publishing one chapter, at least, every week from here on out again. 

Once again, thank you for all the messages you guys have left on my wall and reminding me that Jace and Avery are loved and deserve to be completed. I started writing this story at a very dark time in my life and now it, and you readers, have become a major source of happiness for me. I appreciate you guys more than you know.

- h

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ 

Avery. 

There was nothing as beautiful as the dawn of winter in New York City as Central Park changes into its burnt-orange hues and the sky remains clear like a blank canvas, ready for the colors that are coming with Spring. 

As I walked down Madison St., I came across the little coffee shop where my parents always stopped by before work almost every morning without fail, right before the detour to drop me off at daycare. And down the street was a bakery that my mom adored, where she would often pick up these heavenly strawberry cream croissants that I loved so much. Every corner of the Upper East Side had bits and pieces of my memories with my parents, of happier times, as well as glimmers into the life I was supposed to live. 

But right here, right now, the hand holding mine and the smile plastered across a nearly-perfect face reminded me that the present is a tad bit more bearable with this sometimes-irritating but all-the time-loving human by my side. 

Jace was talking about how there was construction on nearly every street of NYC, but all I could think about was how walking with him in the neighborhood I was born and raised in felt like a dream within another dream. 

"What is that look?" He stopped discussing the nuisance of midday construction and narrowed his eyes as we continued to walk to our destination of the day. 

"What look?" I decided to entertain our flirtatious moment.

"You were staring at me." He raised his brows wittily "What is it, Ave?"

"I wasn't staring, I was gazing. It's romantic." I couldn't help but smile as he rolled his eyes. "You have no idea how happy I am to be able to show you around my city. I'm sorry it wasn't under better circumstances though."

"What is a better circumstance than basically going on a very crucial mission to potentially bring your dad home?" Jace smiled, lightly pressing his lips on my hand that he was holding. "You're going to kill it, Ave. I'm going to be there this time." 

"I wouldn't want to jinx it but..."

"Oh, come on. I don't believe in that crap. You're going to kick ass, my beautiful and brave girl." Another kiss on my hand. Jace was the one who suggested a short walk around my old neighborhood before going into the Courthouse. Whether he was trying to help me ease my nerves or remind me of what was on the line, I wasn't sure, but either one was more than enough of a reason for me to be strong today.

I shook the thoughts away as we approach uncle Andrew's house before heading to the Courthouse to potentially free the man who mattered more to me than anything and anyone in this world. It has been nearly two months since the last time I got to visit him as I have been extremely busy with exams. 

But today was going to be the day we get to bring him home. I had to tell myself that if I were to have any shot at preventing another mental breakdown. Jace had not only offered to come with me but also brought all of our friends and my adopted family, who should probably already be inside the Courthouse by now.