Ch. 8 - The infamous Vanderbilt's eyes

I'm back from a life-happens-shit-happens hiatus. I'm going to be uploading chapters full time once again. For those who stuck around and have messaged me for updates, this one is for you and thank you, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart.

♡,

H.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've never been gladder to be in my office. Ali texted to inform me that she and Avery had left my apartment, but I couldn't stop thinking about what happened last night and this morning between me and Avery. Even after all these years, she still had an effect on me, and I hated it. The way my heart nearly jumped out of my chest this morning from the sight of her slowly waking up and from our conversation, which I had to abruptly end for my sake.

"Sir, someone dropped off coffee for you a moment ago. Cibel put it on your desk." Cara informed me as I walked into my office and as she was leaving. "I also printed out the memo from the depo yesterday and it's also on your desk."

"Thank you, how is my precious niece doing these days?" Cara has an 3 year-old daughter whom I could confidently claim to be one of the cutest little girls I've ever laid my eyes on. The father just so happens to be my own damn cousin, Nate. Their romance was a whirlwind of a ride, for all of us.

"Just as you would expect Nate's daughter to be at 3 years old. Rebellious, witty, and too sassy for someone her height." She sighed. Cara didn't like to be known as a family member at the company as she wanted to be an "independent girl-boss," her words not mine.

"You know, you could just take over and be a CEO in your own rights at Hartford Holdings in Arizona."

"And torture myself with the dry desert heat? No, thank you. It's already bad enough to be a Vanderbilt daughter in-law. Everyone at the company would just either helicopter over me or actually suffocate me to death."

"Is it worth letting your husband commit climate treason and take the jet back and forth every other day?" I nearly laugh at the thought of younger me seeing Nate as anything but a playboy. Now, he was a doting, sucker punch father who can do everything except say no to his daughter, Sicily. As for her name, yes, it was after the place Nate proposed to Cara.

"Sicily enjoys getting excused from montessori to go on those climate-treason jet trips with her dad." Cara couldn't hold back her smiles. "While we're on the subject, it's probably better to tell you now rather than having you find out from Nate. But, I'm pregnant. I was going to tell you a few weeks later."

"You— you're what now?" I couldn't restrain myself from breaking the professional facade with her and bursted out laughing. Nate was the champion of the "no kids, no children" crusade and now he was about to be the first of us to be a father of two.

"It's twins, too. The poor man." She chuckled. "Greyson said it was his duty to name them now after Sicily naming chaos."

We all opposed to Nate being an unoriginal, uncreative bastard in naming our first niece after a basic city. But in the end, we all conceded as soon as we saw her for the first time at the hospital and fell hopelessly in love that none of us could care less what name she carried.

"Do you know the gender yet?" Of course, we're all hoping for more girls as we already have 2 nephews and there could never be enough little girl Vanderbilt/Monrova's.

"Not for another two weeks but I believe they are girls. You know, Nate could never have too much tormenting."

As happy as I was for my cousin and the clan, I couldn't be more envious of him, Livvy, or Kat in starting their own mini clans already while I was utterly, hopelessly, aimlessly stuck in my own cursed hell of a love life.