Ch. 16- Homecoming Game

Avery Lodge

It was already Monday and as sad as that was, there was at least a hint of happiness when Nicole and Will approached by at my locker with a box of donuts.

"What is this for?" I grabbed the box from Will, who was suspiciously smiling at me.

"It's for you, of course!" Nicole laughed. "Please tell me you've heard already, you're the first in the race for valedictorian!"

Oh god... I have not been keeping up with that ever since will mentioned it to me when I first started school here. I guess I've been trying to avoid the fact that senior year here at King barely started and I've already felt like a normal teenager than I've ever felt for the last 3 years at East High. I didn't want it to end already. I loved who I was here, a lot less anxious and alone. I made new friends and didn't need to feel like I needed Landon all the time. Not to mention he had a girl now, so it would've been awful if I hadn't made friends.

"You're kidding..." I wasn't trying to brush it off but I truly didn't know I was even in the race let alone the first one on the list right now. "There are a lot much more deserving people. I haven't even kept up with it. But thank you guys, how did you know I wanted a sugar high before third period?"

"You barely got here and you're already winning every race there is. Especially being Jace Vanderbilt's girl." Nicole rolled her eyes as we were walking to our next class together. Will wasn't really paying attention anymore.

The mention of Jace's name made me shiver, it was odd and uncomfortable. I didn't like how he made me feel, I was nervous all the time and was always subconsciously looking for him at school and in English.

"Nic! I'm not his girl! It's not like that! We're just project partners and he's one of the few friends I've made here. That's all."

"Right because getting the golden ticket to go to his birthday dinner isn't what every single girl here talks about on the daily basis. It's like the event of the century." Despite her hatred of Jace and his friends, Nic sure did know a lot about them. I couldn't blame her, they're the main attraction here, it was basically impossible not to know about them.

"He only invited me out of courtesy. It's not like that I swear." I hushed her before class started. But as I was getting to my seat, I tripped over a pair of legs and tumbled my way to meet the ground.

Even though it was soft and quiet, I heard it. The two words that came out of her mouth, "Gold digger." But not wanting to cause a scene, I quickly got back up and said sorry before pulling Nicole to our seats.

"You know that wasn't an accident." Nicole balled her hand into a fist when we were walking to lunch after class. "London is vicious and shes finally making dirty moves on you. Why didn't you let me knock her out?"

"And then what? Detention? It's not worth rubbing stains on your perfect student record, Nic. And what would you tell your parents?" We decided to eat in the cafeteria today, due to Will's special request. As much as I was grateful to Nicole for standing up for me, I knew it wasn't worth her getting in trouble. She always told me about how strict her parents were especially towards her more than will.

Before she could argue, Daniel and Will put their food on the table and joined us. "So I heard the wicked witch of the west contaminated you today."

How did Daniel know when it just happened?

"Everyone knows." Will whispered and looked around. People were whispering and glancing at us as if we couldn't see them. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I sighed. It was making me awfully uncomfortable, with so much attention. I wasn't used to it and I sure as hell didn't like it. I needed to get out of here. "I just have a lot of homework to do so I'm going to head to the library. I'll see you guys later okay?"