Ch. 6 - A Monrova-Vanderbilt Dinner

Jace Vanderbilt

If anyone knew me, they would know how bad I was at waking up before 11. What never helped was the fact that I had a California king bed that felt like a mass of clouds and everything soft in the world. My room was always dark since the blinds were controlled by a remote that had a sleep mode, which meant no sunlight could ever possibly seeps through without turning the mode off. My room was basically designed to trap me in deep sleep, so you can imagine how grumpy and grouchy I was when Ali and my cousin Ellie jumped on my bed to wake me up.

I was sure that it was not 11 as my blinds would've automatically went up, just as how I set them to be for the weekends when I didn't have shit to do.

"get...."

"Out...."

I growled, to say that I was annoyed was a huge understatement. I was beyond annoyed. I was pissed. Especially when I haven't had a free weekend since summer ended. We always had football practice early on the weekends. And these two brats were ruining the day I was looking forward to these past few weeks.

"Shut up and get up, Jay. Mom has been telling us to come call you, the whole family is arriving soon." Ali flopped on top of me and flicked my forehead. If it were anyone else, I would have murdered her by now. "Plus, your phone had been going off for the past hour. You might want to check it."

What? Who the hell would be texting me at this time when the guys knew better than to disturb me before 11 on the weekends.

I grabbed my phone and got up so fast that I felt the blood rush from my small head to the big one, giving me a fat ass headache.

I had a missed call and a text from Avery. From an hour ago. Fuck. Holy fuck.

"Why didn't you wake me?!" I growled at Ali who flared her nostrils at me and shook her head before getting off my bed with Ellie who was laughing. "It's not funny, it was an important call. For our project."

"Is that what you old heads call it these days? Project?" Ellie and Ali both bursted in laughters before leaving my room. Goddamn it.

Fuck. I missed the chance to hear her voice. Fuck...

Should I call her back?

So I did.

"Hello?" She answered after four beeping noises. I was in a daze from hearing her soft, gentle voice that totally did not help my morning wood situation. Fuck I should not have called. "Jace?"

Oh my god, why did my name sound so much better then she said it? I wanted to hear her say it again.

"Oh, um I missed your call. Sorry I was sleeping."

"No, I'm sorry I should've thought about how early it was... um..." she was mumbling again. "Um tomorrow, your house? I just wanted to confirm... sorry I should have just texted and not um"

"Avery." I stopped her, trying to hold back my laughters over how fucking adorable she sounded right now. She was nervous. And I knew it. "It's alright, I'm glad you called. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes..." She was quiet, waiting for me to respond but I wanted to hear her voice some more instead of saying bye just like that.

"What are you doing today?"

"Um... I um have work then my friends are coming over to have a PLL marathon..." She giggled softly at the end and I wanted nothing more than to rush over to her house right now and kiss her. Wait what. Fucking hell, Jace calm yourself.

And then she said, "um... if you want to join..."

Oh my god, was she inviting me over to her house? Goddamn it why did I have to have family dinner today.... oh man.