Ch. 44 - A Drunken Night

Jace.

I was utterly and completely happy for Avery, who should be furniture shopping with her dad and Margo in New York City right about now. She was brave and full of grace in court last week and seeing her in the Lodge estate made my heart jump with joy and pride. She was always a princess but seeing her in her castle, I couldn't help but think about how crazy it was that I was dating the girl of my childhood dreams and now, adult desires.

Our time spent in New York forced me to realize the ugly truth that Avery and I were going to be across the country from each other in a few months and that thought hit me like a truck when we said goodbye to each other at JFK airport. Avery was going to stay home with her dad for a few more days before coming back to California.

There was no compromise that needed to be made, of whether she could go to school here or I could go to school there. Avery didn't need me and the girl could hold her own, she would never let me sacrifice my dream and I was never going to let her defer hers.

We both understood that there were more important things we needed to do, apart, before we could return to being able to have dinner together in her room or out on my balcony every night. I would never allow her to make compromises on her dream of attending Yale and becoming a bad-ass attorney when her ambitions were one of her sexiest qualities that I fell in love with.

But it didn't make any of this easier.

"What are you moping about now?" Charles twirled his glass of vodka on the rocks as we were spending our Saturday night being homebodies in Harry's home bar. "It has only been two days since you last saw her."

"I'm moping about the fact that it's Valentine's day tomorrow and I'm stuck here with three drunk messes instead of my girl." I chucked the deck of cards at him, which perfectly hit the aimed spot between his legs. "Get out of my face."

"Oh, dear god." Cameron sighed. "Is this the Jace we're going to have to put up with when Avery moves back to New York this summer? I might go insane and just kill you."

"I don't think it matters whether she's here or there, he's whipped either way." Harry rolled his eyes as he hit another bullseye on the dartboard. "What are your guys' plans tomorrow?"

"You know me and my annual tradition of allowing a few lucky ladies the chance to go on a date with me and all my goodness on Valentine's day." Charles shrugged before taking his last gulp of the vodka. "Don't plan on ending it any year soon."

"You're an absolute pig." Cameron shook his head. "It still boggles my mind that any decent girl would even consider going out with you."

"You see, my friend, that's the thing. I don't want decent girls. I want madness and wildness." Charles grinned. "But honestly, I'm concerned for me, too."

"What about you then, Mr. High and Noble?" Harry asked Cameron without taking his eyes off the dartboard.

"I'm not going to share my plans with you, dick head." Cameron got up and headed to the bar for a refill. "But, it's not anything with anyone."

"Oh, come on, live a little, Cam." Charles groaned. "You've been single for way too long."

"I enjoy being single and indulging in my own company." Cameron shrugged. "You should try it."

"I will gladly pass. I have plenty of that in the shower." Charles laughed and we all picked up different objects to throw at him.

"Are you spending tomorrow on facetime with Ave, Jacey bear?" Harry pouted and sat down on the lounge chairs after finally getting bored of darts.