Ch. 5 - Queen's Gambit

Jace.

Oh for the love of hell and all things sinful, I was slowly coming back to my senses and regretting everything I said to her over the phone. I was letting myself indulge in her as I should not be and to feel excited about our meeting over dinner tonight... I was definitely hitting a low point.

What was I even expecting? We both have grown up and lead our own lives now with even more things on the line than before we were only teenagers who believed love was everything.

Of course, there was a tiny, locked-away part of me that wanted this. I wanted to see her and be near her and just listen to her talk about things I didn't even care for. That tiny remnant of the Jace who loved Avery Grace Lodge more than anything in this universe. I knew that if I let that part sparked, it would be a burning torch that would devour all sensibility and goodness.

But it was too goddamn late to back out now as I was heading to the restaurant we were supposed to meet at. I really did consider picking her up as I usually would with any woman, but this was Avery. And this was business. I couldn't let myself be soft.

Was it immature? Hell yes.

Was it petty? Hell yes.

But could I afford to care? Fuck no.

Was this me proving to her or to myself that I could handle being in her presence and not want to set everything on fire from the blazing bitterness I still felt towards her, I didn't know. But never in hell was I ever going to admit that she still affected me. I've let her seen everything and in the end, it was all for nothing and I wasn't enough.

Well, it was too late now to scold myself or wallow in pity now.

I arrived at the restaurant and the hostess recognized me immediately and guided me to the reserved table upstairs in their private VIP area where I always sat whenever I came here.

Avery was perfectly on time as I saw a peek of her walking up the stairs near our agreed time. She was wearing all black and strutting towards me in her high heels that I remembered she adored so goddamn much.

When was all of this now-useless information ever going to be ejected from my mind, I wasn't sure to be fucking honest.

"Good evening, Mr. Vanderilt." As much as I wanted to be petty, I got up and pulled her chair out for her as she sat down. "Great choice in restaurant, really."

Of course, she would've thought so. Avery loved this place.

"Ms. Lodge, we can just jump right into business." I tried to sound as uninterested as possible to mask the fact that I couldn't take my fucking eyes off of her. But I sure as hell wasn't going to let her see even a hint of that ever again.

Avery started discussing the potential liabilities, benefits, and process details but all I could think about was our summer trip to Europe with all my cousins where Avery and I were dancing to Bennie and the Jets at one of the Irish pubs as a last-minute, adventurous date night idea.

I thought about how I felt when I looked at her that night as we were dancing on top of the table while everyone was cheering us on. I remembered that when I looked at her as we terribly sang out loud and danced like the two drunken messes that we were, I fucking knew.

I fucking knew that I didn't want to dance or horribly sing karaoke with anyone else for the rest of my life.

"Mr. Vanderbilt?" Avery's confused tone snapped me back to reality. "Did you have any concerns regarding the M&A?"

"Why you specifically? Why couldn't it be someone else? I'm sure there are many more experienced attorneys working for Lodge Industries whom I would feel much more secure with handling the M&A, given how important it is."

Nice save, Jace.

"While I agree with you that we do have other more qualified attorneys, I can assure you that as a top graduate in my law school class, I can handle an M&A with little hassle." She grinned. "Unless you of course feel that my presence would truly hinder the efficiency and success of the project, I don't see why I can't take this on."

Oh, Avery Lodge, you wicked, cruel thing.

"That isn't my concern. My main issue is whether you'll be capable of spearheading a project at this scale when you're barely finishing law school, Ms. Lodge." I was going to push some buttons now. There was no doubt in my mind that she could. Avery was always able to do nearly everything she set her mind to.

Including walking away from me.

"I don't believe the head attorneys would have allowed me to do so unless they were confident that I was well trained and ready to take on the position." She chuckled softly before holding her hands together and resting her chin on them while staring into my eyes. "You'll be able to oversee it for yourself. At any time if you feel that I'm inadequate in my role, you reserve the right to demand a change in counsel."

"Well, draft up a written agreement and make sure you include a cancellation clause for ineffective counsel and send it over to Cara tomorrow. Just to be safe." And that was a defeat for you, Jace Vanderbilt. I caved once again.

Of course, I was well aware of how brilliant she was, but my pride was definitely going to allow me to show any hint of that. Avery smiled at that comment and picked up her phone for a quick moment before putting it down.

"Done and done. Your assistance and legal department should receive it in a few seconds. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, Mr. Vanderbilt."

"You're quite chirpy today." I really couldn't fucking help it.

"It's not easy getting a time slot in your schedule, Mr. Vanderbilt, of course it's a happy occasion." She smirked and took a sip of her drink. Since when the hell did Avery Lodge casually drink at dinners.

But then again, it has been nearly three years, I doubt I even knew her anymore.

But then again, who gave a shit.

"The honor is entirely mine, Ms. Lodge." I couldn't let her have the upper hand. She looked way too comfortable over there, in my presence, while I was slowly losing my freaking sanity. "Was it your choice to oversight the M&A or was it forced upon you?"

"Oh, a little bit of both. My father wanted me to get some experience before I officially take over as the head of his legal team. And this seemed to be the perfect opportunity." She was looking straight into my eyes as she spoke, as if she didn't have a care in the world who was sitting across from her.

Oh, Hell.

"Impressive. I was expecting that you'd be taking over as the heiress and CEO. I was wrong." And I wasn't lying. I really did expect Harvey Lodge to hand his entire group over to his only daughter. But from what I remembered, Avery never wanted the spot. I guess this was the compromise.

"You know I don't have any interest in being the CEO, too much pressure. I quite enjoy my behind the scene spot as the legal person." The smile plastered on her lips was genuine this time. "That hasn't changed."

Oh, we were moving into the personal zone now and that was my cue to keep my guard up.

"Clearly." I played it cool. "Well, if you're sure you won't have any issues playing the role, I wish you the best of luck, Ms. Lodge. Dinner was pleasant, but I have another meeting to catch. I'm glad we sorted things out."

As I was getting ready to leave, I swore I caught a hint of sadness in her eyes but that was most likely my mind playing tricks on me.

I didn't let myself linger any longer than I could've handled before completely losing my shit, so I left. As fucked up as it was, I couldn't afford to care.

Nearly three years after that night, it was my turn to walk away and not look back.

But it sure as hell didn't feel as satisfying nor good as I've always thought it would be.