Ch. 18 - The Charity Ball

This weekend was going to be the death of me, the gala then homecoming dance and then the annual Monrova cousin camping trip. The only good thing about it was going to be spending the entire weekend with Avery. When she said yes to coming on the camping trip, I felt like the happiest man alive knowing she was going to make the trip even better than it usually is.

I was dreading the gala the most, I hated those social events but I knew they were necessary. This was going to be the first gala where I get to take a girl I liked. Avery was the first. And she was probably going to be the first of many things.

"You ready for the gala tonight?" Charles was devouring his pizza, the boy could sure eat as much as he could drink.

"As ready as I could be I guess." I shrugged. "I'm just nervous because it's Avery's first gala, I'm worried she might not enjoy herself."

"Bro you really like her don't you?" Charles shook his head at me. We always had the same views on relationships and dating, neither meant for people like us. But then I met Avery.

"I guess so..." But I was more talking to myself now at this point. This whole week we've been talking more than ever, especially our phone calls almost every night that I've been taking advantage of, using the excuse of working on our project and planning homecoming.

She always fell asleep halfway through the calls, but I fucking adored it. I loved wishing her goodnight even though I knew she couldn't hear me because Avery fell asleep fast. I could hear her little breathing noises that I thought were fucking precious.

I was so doomed.

"How are your ribs?" McCall from East High was the fuck head who bulldozed me last week. And I was going to make him pay. But through it, I saw how much she cared about me so I guess it was a win win situation. But god my ribs fucking hurt and they were still sore as hell after physical therapy.

"I feel fine." I didn't want to admit that I was still in pain, I had an image to uphold. "Ready for this weekend."

Charles eyed me suspiciously, he probably knew I was bullshitting but didn't say anything which I was grateful for. I especially didn't want to make Avery even more worried.

I was extra early for English today because I wanted to save Avery a seat next to me. She was comfortable with sitting with me now, which was a huge step forward for me. When she came in, she cracked a huge smile at me as she was walking down the aisle to take the seat I saved for her.

"Good morning, Ave."

"Good morning, Jace." She smiled. "How are you feeling today? Any better?"

"I'll live, Ave. I feel fine as a horse." I smiled back at her. She was getting ready for class to start but I was too busy staring at her. "So I heard you're coming to my house after school today for the gala."

"Yeah, Ali wanted to get ready together. And aunt Rose wanted me to try on the dress first." Aunt Rose wanted Avery to wear the Givenchy dress she was donating to the gala, an offer which Avery hesitated on for awhile until my mom talked her into it.

"Do you want a ride? I mean we do finish around the same time."

"If that's not too much of a bother..."

"I would love to give you a ride, Ave." I chuckled at her politeness. This girl was really going to end me. "About the camping trip, you should just sleep over after the dance tomorrow since we're leaving pretty early in the morning."

"Sleep over...?" Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes stared at me with the cutest expression. I could tell Avery was nervously misinterpreting what I meant. But that meant she probably has never done anything with anyone. And that thought made me a very fucking happy Jace.