Ch. 35 - The Devil Himself Said Hello

Avery Lodge

It was almost Valentine's day and I still had no idea what to get for Jace. After everything he has done for me, I wanted our first Valentine together to be one he would remember with fond memories. So, a thoughtful gift was a must but it was so difficult when Jace literally had the world at his disposal. For our first monthaversary, he was so extra that he decorated my locker with roses and we had dinner at a way too fancy restaurant by the beach.

Despite the constant complaints I put in for him being too extravagant when he didn't need to, Jace always turned me down by saying they were only a fraction of the things he wanted to do.

Jace and the guys were playing an away game today so they weren't at school, except for Cameron, who was studying with my friends and I in the library during lunch. He was the most studious one out of all of them and it was intriguing how they were all so close given how different their personalities were.

"Hey, we're still going to LA together this upcoming weekend right?" Nicole whispered to me and I nodded. We all made plans to go to LA to visit the observatory and Getty museum as well as the Hollywood sign. "Are you going to invite Jace and his friends?"

"No, I just want it to be our group since we haven't hung out in forever given the college entrance tests and break." I smiled at her. "It'll be just us four."

I felt awful that I spent so much time with Jace that I haven't hung out with my friends as often as I would have liked. So I was glad that we had our LA trip coming up.

"Hey." Will came in and sat down next to Daniel. As he looked up and saw me, he forced a weak smile. "Oh, hi, Ave. Didn't know you were gonna be joining us today."

Will was still in an awkward phase with me as he confessed his feelings to me over break when he called to wish me a Merry Christmas. I had told Jace about it, and he gave me really good advice on how to handle the situation in order to not hurt Will's feelings and save our friendship. But Will still didn't take it really well and we haven't talked ever since.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't been studying with you guys as much as before. But I'm back on the grind. Especially with midterms coming up, you're going to be seeing a whole lot me."

"Great..." He said sarcastically. "So excited..."

Ouch.

"Oh, Will, remember to wake up early Saturday, we're thinking of skipping out traffic." Nicole nudged her twin brother. "Please wake up."

"What? Where are we going?" Will asked confusingly.

"LA trip, us four, remember?" Nicole rolled her eyes. "I talked to you about it during break."

"Oh, right." Will groaned. "Um, I don't think I can make it. I have midterms to study for. AP Physics is really kicking my ass right now."

"You should ask Jace for help, it's his strong suit." Cameron absentmindedly told Will, but his eyes remained on the homework assignment in front of him. "I'm sure he'll help you out."

"No, thanks, I think I can manage." Will scoffed. "Not that desperate to ask Vanderbilt for help."

"Yeah, it's surprising to me, too. He's actually smart and not just a jock." Cameron turned his homework over and continued reading.

"Alright, we get it. He's the smartest, fittest, wealthiest, and hottest dude at school. Give me a fucking break." Will blew up and Cameron finally looked up from his homework with the most confused expression. "Whatever, I'm not going to the trip this weekend. Maybe next time."

Will left and I felt horrible.

"Couldn't have gone any softer on him, Cam?" Nicole smacked Charles, who was still very confused. "Jace has always been a very touchy subject for Will. Even more now."