Ch. 31 - & A Trip Down Memory Lane

After our annual family Christmas portrait, we were all sitting at the grand dining table. It was still beyond me that we had to get a custom table made and extended our already-huge dining room in order to fit the entire big family in one place. But I wouldn't want it any other way.

I loved my family and how we were so much that I couldn't imagine how much I'd hate to have a small family.

Despite how heated I was at Greyson for the shit he said, I didn't want to ruin the Christmas spirit and the only truly intimate family event we had. Also because I knew my parents would whoop my ass if I did anything stupid, like the incident from a few years ago when I punched him in the face. I wasn't going to let my temper get the better of me this time. I could just imagine the lecture Avery would give me if I lost my cool with Greyson, so I didn't. Plus, I knew Greyson only did it to initiate a fight because he knew how my parents felt about our cousin relationship.

Aunt Rosie sat next to me as she did every year, and was forcing me to eat more vegetables, as she did with every meal we had together. Everyone was talking about the past when mom and dad were younger, and how dad was always a lovesick puppy for mom. While everyone was laughing, Greyson didn't look amused at all. He was just picking at his food. I knew he hated whenever he had to hear about the past and how his dad was in love with my mom.

I didn't know how the two of us were ever going to get past this. Nate and I didn't have a problem, he was the closest cousin I had as we shared similar interests and hobbies. Uncle Colton lived in Seattle, but the twins went to a private high school all the way in New York per their own request. Nate was the opposite of Greyson, despite them being only 37 minutes apart.

"Remember the time when I almost killed Pennie?" Aunt Macy shook her head. I knew this story, they all went scuba diving and mom nearly drowned after giving her mask to aunt Mace who didn't know how to swim. "To be fair, I jumpstarted your guys' relationship. So you're welcome."

"Mace, I got an earful and a half from dad when we got home. You still owe me, for the rest of your life." Mom rolled her eyes. "To be even fairer, I believe Wren and I were the ones who orchestrated your blind date with Jon. So you're even more welcome."

"I still can't believe you guys set her up on a date with Jon, without her knowing." Aunt Claire laughed. "The poor girl had a crush on him for however long and didn't even have a clue she was going to go on a date with him until she got there, right?"

"Yeah, I remember walking into the restaurant and almost wanted to drive home to murder these two." Aunt Mace looked at uncle Jon, who was feeding baby Victoria. "All the pies I made, really went down the drain because I was so nervous I couldn't even look at him."

"I was like why did Wren set me up with such a weirdo, I even thought she was mute because she didn't say a single word for half an hour!" Uncle Jon nudged aunt Mace. "I thought she was shy and was probably really soft spoken. I was so wrong."

Aunt Mace smacked him which made everyone laugh, including Great Grandfather.

The trip down memory lane was then steered towards work when uncle Jon was talking to aunt Amie about some new projects. Grandpa Zach cleared his throat and stared them down, which made them stop. "No discussing work at dinner."

"So, what are your kids' plans after high school?" Grandpa Zach looked at all of us, especially us boys who were graduating soon. "Your successor training starts after your trip to Italy, don't forget. And I better not get another call from Steve, you guys need to stop tormenting the poor man."

"Grandpa, to be fair, he torments us just as miserably." Nate's smart ass comment earned him a smack in the back of his head by Livvy. "Yes, Grandpa Z. This summer we will all be good I promise. I will personally take responsibility for all of them and give you my word for it."