Ch. 43 - The First Guests

Avery.

"Margo?!" I couldn't believe my eyes as I got out of the car and saw the 5'2 petite nanny who took care of me when I was younger. "Is it really you!?"

"Yes, Miss!" Her thick Cuban accent was the voice that soothed all my crying and tantrums when I was younger and it still had the same effect now. "I've missed you too."

"I figured you should have some sense of our old life back and Margo was always more than just a nanny to you." My Dad had his hands in his pocket and smiled at Margo and me. "I also re-hired most of our old staff, even the pool guy who I didn't share much agreement with."

"Oh, Liam!" I gasped. "Everyone's really back?"

"Everyone's back, princess. And we're going to be a family again." He took my hand and we started walking inside while waiting for everyone else to arrive. "I've made sure Andrew set up your old room to fit who you've grown into, but I thought you might appreciate something old in there that I'm sure would remind you of mom."

"Dad..." As soon as we walked into my old room on the second floor, I knew exactly what he was referring to. The periwinkle floral wallpaper that used to be in my old bedroom, the one my mom and dad personally spent days putting up themselves. "I love it."

"I had everything changed out, so let Margo know if you need anything." My dad kissed my forehead again. "Now, I have some business to attend to with the Lodges in approximately 20 minutes. Tell your friends and adopted family to stay as long as they wish and I'll make sure to come back for dinner and meet them."

"Did you want me to come with you?" Please say no...

"Of course not, sweetheart. I want you here, where you'll be safe and comfortable. Plus, I want you to have time to settle in and tell the housekeepers to obtain whatever else you might need." He ruffled my hair and started heading out before stopping at my door. "Don't think I haven't heard about the Vanderbilt boy."

With that, my cheeks turned tomato red but before I could say anything, my dad chuckled and left. 

"Miss, your father has purchased everything for you so that you wouldn't need to move any of your things from California." Margo appeared from my closet with a huge smile. "It's good to be back here again and with you guys."

"How have you been all these years, Margo?" 

"After you guys left, I started working for another family nearby because you know I live around here. But they were not very warm people. Very distant. So when your dad sent the offer to rehire me, I did not take a second to think about it. I said yes immediately." 

Margo has always been loyal, kind, and her humorous sometimes feisty personality was a bonus. She taught me a lot about being humbled and treating others with respect regardless of who they were. 

"What about your kids? How old are they now?"

"Alexandra is going off to college this fall and Antonio is going to be 10th grader, Miss." She took out her phone and showed me their pictures. I've always adored Margo's kids whenever she took them here. "They're also very glad I'm working here again and can't wait to see you." 

"Oh, the feeling is mutual, Margo." I smiled at her and sat down on the massive bed that's a huge upgrade from my little princess full bed from when I was growing up. The comforter was soft and of course, in my favorite shade of cream. 

"How did you end up in the adopted family, Miss? If you don't mind me asking." Margo's joyful look was now replaced by a hint of sadness in her eyes as she sat down on the bed next to me.