Ch. 25 - Scottie

Avery POV

"Oh, hell... Scottie is back..." Cameron groaned. "The bitch is back from hell..."

"Scottie?"

Jace looked at me, his eyes were full of shock and panic. But he couldn't leave practice since it wasn't over yet. But from his expression, I could tell I wouldn't like the explanation. He looked like a kid who was trying to come up with an excuse to get out of trouble after being caught stealing cookies. It was an expression I have never seen before.

"Avery... Don't blame Jace... As his best friend, I know Scottie is definitely not someone Jace ever or would ever love." Cameron sighed. "She's just his worst fucking nightmare..."

"What do you mean..." I was trying really hard not to scream out of frustration from how confused I was about everything.

"I think Jace is the one who has to tell you, but I can promise you she is nothing more than the devil's spawn. And she only did that to get to you."

"Oh, god... I bet she was the one who posted that nasty post about Avery. Devil spawn or satan slave, I'm going to end her life." Nicole hissed and balled her fist.

"Jace is the fucking idiot here." Will cussed.

"Hey, watch it." Cameron spat. "Don't you fucking dare-"

"Guys, please stop..." I sighed. "We're giving her the reaction that she wanted. Don't..."

After his practice ended, Jace ran towards us so fast that he didn't even change. I knew he was worried and before talking to him about it, I didn't want to be that immature girl who just assumed and got upset for no reason. Whether I liked it or not, he deserved to explain his side of the story.

"Hey, we'll meet you guys at the diner..." Cameron said, signaling the rest to go after him. They wanted to leave us alone. Jace was staring at me, with the most guilty look in his eyes.

"Ave..." He finally said, after everyone had left. We were sitting on the bleachers by ourselves. And the sun was setting. If it weren't for the awkward tension between us right now, it would have been a beautiful moment. "I'm really fucking sorry you had to see that. It's not what you think..."

"What do I think, Jace?"

"Scottie used to be my best friend two years ago... When I was going through a really... dark... time." He sighed. "She enabled all the worst parts of me and we..."

Oh, god... Did I really want to hear this...

"We were just fucking around all the time, did a lot of degenerate shit to forget about the crowns we had to wear and the weights that came with them. I thought she was someone who understood me, but really she was just someone fucking toxic."

"What did you guys do...?" Great, really had to be that curious huh, Ave.

"A shit ton of drinking, smoking, illegal racing, and ditching." He exhaled. "And you know."

Of course they did. Of course.

"I'm not proud of who I was, Ave. I swear to God." He groaned. "I never felt that way about Scottie, the way that I feel about you."

He took my arms and turned me towards him. With his index finger, he lifted my chin up. I could tell it was eating Jace alive, and I knew it wasn't his fault. Scottie was someone important to Jace, no matter how bad people might thought she was. I couldn't be that horrible to take that away from him.

"I'm not mad at you, Jace." I sighed. I really wasn't. As much as I wanted to be, I wasn't. I understood that loneliness and how much it meant to have someone whom you thought knew what you were going through. "She's important to you, I wouldn't want to put you in a position that would force you to choose."