Ch. 22 - Avery Grace

*Avery*

The car ride to the cabin was actually really fun, with Ali and Ellie telling me and Jace about all their boys problems. And I saw Jace in a different light when I saw how engaged he was in the conversation and the sorts of advice he genuinely gave them. We also sang along to hundreds of songs and told a lot of dad jokes.

Jace said everyone got their own rooms, and why was I still surprised seeing the size of their vacation cabin. And why I was I still surprised when I found out that 'cabin' actually meant a freaking resorts with different units of smaller cabins.

When Jace said all of his cousins would be here, I didn't think he meant this many people. There were at least 20 people in this house. No wonder the Monrova-Vanderbilt family was like celebrities, they were all so attractive. What a freaking gene pool. Ava and London were also here, along with another girl whom I didn't recognize. They had been clinging onto Jace's every move since we opened the door.

"Avery!" Cameron and Charles rushed towards me when I got to the common area. "How was the trip up? You guys were so late that I thought you guys weren't coming."

"They were cooking up a long storm in Jace's room, basically had to pry them out to leave." Ali giggled, and my face turned tomato red. But Jace smirked and walked past us.

"No! It wasn't like that, we-"

"Say no more, I know what kind of beast Jacey is." Charles smirked. Oh god, now everyone was getting the wrong idea. "Finished so soon?"

But before I could protest, Ava and London cleared their throats.

"Since Jace is finally here, we should go out to the lake and have some fun." And then everyone was leaving to go out to the lake.

The music was loud, everyone was drinking beers from red solo cups. The girls were swimming in the lake while the guys were doing stunts with the board and rope to jump inside. But Cameron and I were grilling meat since I was too cold to go inside the lake.

"I'm sad I didn't have time to prepare for my famous burgers." Cameron pouted and I thought back to what Jace said about Cam's burgers. "I wish you could have tried them, they're the best. They're even picky-Jace approved."

"I'm sorry, Cameron. I wish I could have tried them, too." I laughed, which made Cameron confused. "Do you guys come here a lot?"

"Yeah, it's an annual tradition. Before, it was just a Monrova trip with all of Jace's cousins but now there are friends like us who get to come, too." I was watching Jace who was riding the jet ski with Charles standing behind him and shouting in excitement. The sight of it made my heart melt, seeing Jace laughing and smiling. I liked seeing Jace this way more than the sight of him worn out like on the night of his birthday dinner.

"You guys need any help?" A guy who doesn't look older than we were walked up and grabbed a piece of meat from the plate. He looked a lot like Jace, more than his other cousins I meant. "I'm Greyson, Jace's cousin. Avery right?"

"Yeah, nice to meet you." I smiled. "Mmm, you can help make more kebabs with me."

"So are you and Jace a thing?" Greyson asked, but his eyes remained on the kebab in his hand.

"We're just friends, nothing more." I answered. How did he know about me and Jace? How did he even know my name? How strange... "How are you and Jace related?"

"Our dads are twins." He laughed. "That's why we look more alike than the others."

Oh! He was one of uncle Colton's kids. I remember seeing him at Jace's birthday dinner. Now looking at Greyson, I could definitely see uncle Colton's traits.