Ch. 17 - Haunting Ghost of the Past

Avery Lodge

It has been 2 days since the football game and I was still in shock over what happened. My worries for Jace have not subsided whatsoever, if anything they only increased. He hasn't came to school, would be a surprise if he did given the fact that he basically got dovered on the field by the dirty play from East High. Even though we won the game, it wasn't worth Jace getting hurt.

From watching him getting tackled and seeing him get hurt, it affirmed that I cared about Jace Vanderbilt. A lot more than what I was used to, towards any guy outside of family. I've never felt this way about a guy since childhood. I didn't even realize I was holding in my breath when he was knocked down and didn't breathe until he got up and started walking. But even then, I was still terrified. So much that I have been contemplating whether I should go visit him, without being creepy.

"So what color have you guys decided on?" Nicole asked nonchalantly. Not to mention that now the whole school knew I was going to homecoming with Jace. "Is it sad that I'm slightly envious? Just imagining how gorgeous your guys' pictures will come out to be."

"We haven't talked about the details." I shrugged while working on my homework. I really did hate school functions but I was actually looking forward to going to my first ever high school dance with Jace. So much that I surprised myself. "But I'm sure we'll figure it out. Soon..."

"There's a thing called cell phone." Nicole shook her head. "Everyone is like in some unrest that he has been absent for two days. Like whoop dee doo. Hope he's okay though."

"His mom is making him stay home, but he said he felt fine." I muttered, but Nic heard me. "I hope he's fine..."

"So you guys do talk."

"Of course, we have a project together."

"Oh my god I can't wait until you guys finish this goddamn project so you can stop using that as an excuse to be friends with Jace Vanderbilt." She rolled her eyes and closed my textbook. "Avery, if you like him just say you like him. It's okay!"

"What!" My face burned up. "I do not see him in that way, we're just friends. And homecoming dates. It's not like that."

"I'm sure he says the same thing to his friends." She scoffed. "Whatever you guys pretend to be, everyone can see that he has the hots for you. Like he actually genuinely likes you."

"What! No!"

"Avery please even a blind man can see that Jace Vanderbilt cares a shit ton about you." She rolled her eyes again. "It's actually cute."

Right then, I got a text. From the devil himself.

Jace: Some chicken noodle soup sounds so good right now. And having my English homework personally delivered.

"Please tell me you're going to go see him. It's your chance to confess your love!" Nicole peeked over my shoulder as I hurriedly hid my phone. "It's too late, I already saw it."

"I mean, I was already going to come over to work on our project since it's due next week. I guess I could bring him chicken soup & his homework...." I was more talking to myself than Nicole but she giggled and sighed.

"Oh, young love. I'm calling dibs on your firstborn child."

I replied back to Jace, aye aye captain.

<><><><><>

No matter how many times I see the Vanderbilt estate, I was probably never going to get over how big it was nor the fact that only a single family lived here... there were so many houses here that I was curious as to what they were using them for. I've been in the garden as well as seen a small part of their house & the twins' room but I was certain they made up less than 10% of this entire place.