Ch. 13 - The table of the gods

I haven't seen Jace at school for the past couple of days. I knew Jace skipped school often, yet I was still disappointed every time he missed English. 

Seriously, Avery, snap out of it.

We have been texting, but it was sporadic. He was busy as a bee, since they played a big away game this past weekend. After that day of ditching, I was sure that Jace and I moved up a level in our friendship and I was happy about it. When he wasn't practicing, he was either sleeping or doing stuff with his family. But when we did get to talk when he had time, I was stupidly excited. 

It was Wednesday at lunch when Nicole was asking me about the homecoming dance that was coming up soon. I was dreading this conversation, because frankly, I did not plan on going but then I felt horrible hearing Nicole talk about how she was excited to take cute pictures with me in our dresses and seeing the boys all dressed up.

But then I saw him. 

Jace. And his friends. They showed up to school today, it was a rare occasion given the fact that the girls were loudly whispering and gawking at them. They sat down at their usual table by the corner, surrounded by cheerleaders but Jace was on his phone and he didn't look very happy.

"I think Will wanted to ask you." Nicole blurted out. "He told me not to say anything, but come on, we have to plan! Like what to wear and go dress shopping and-"

"Wait, what?" I stopped her. I got so distracted when I saw Jace that I did not hear most of what Nicole said. All I got from her speech was 'Will' and 'ask'. "Wait... Huh?"

"What? It's not like you were not going to go. It's your first school event at King, come on!" She shrugged. "He really wants to go with you, Ave. But, what colors should we choose!?"

I don't think Nicole knew how much I hated school functions, especially ones that required me in a dress and heels. And accessories. Of course, the worst of all, socializing. It wasn't that I didn't want to go with Will, I just didn't want to go period...

"Nic, I..." I sighed. "Well, I wasn't planning on going... I really don't like school functions... Or dresses. And everything that came with the dance."

"What?" She stopped dead in her track until a few students told us to move on in the lunch line. "I'm not sure if I heard you right."

"Yeah..." I chuckled nervously, hoping she would drop it and just let me not go.

"No, honey. You're going to dance. Even if it were the last thing I have to do." She glared at me and punched my arm lightly. "If you didn't go, Will wouldn't go. He only wants to go with you, A."

What... he didn't even mention anything to me these past few days we talked in classes and lunch times. We decided to eat in the cafeteria a few days a week outside of just the library, to create that high school experience according to Daniel. Since it was our last year and all. Which we all agreed to, hesitantly.

"I really don't want to go, Nick..." I groaned as we sat down at our usual corner of the cafeteria, right next to the chess club and the ACADECA.

Nicole was about to protest, but then the cafeteria suddenly got a lot quieter and Nicole suddenly cleared her throat lightly before flashing me a smirk. I was quite confused until I looked up to see Jace standing right in front of us in a turtle neck and a trench coat, looking too much like some royal prince. His eyes were on mine and he smirked when he saw that I was blinking excessively and my eyes wandered to all the possible places to avoid his gaze. He was enjoying how nervous he made me.

He stopped and looked down at the chess club people, who were stammering and panicking with fear in their eyes. "Will you guys excuse me?"

With that, they dispersed faster than I could blink. Nicole wasn't kidding when she said that he was the god here. Jace moved into their spot and said hey to Nicole and Daniel before turning his attention back to me.