Chapter 6 - The unknown attack

"Okay, you have me confused." I had the last few bites of my salad and pushed it away, leaning back in the chair with my wine, this time he had to do some explaining.

"Like I said, she's not my mom. My dad met my real mom; she was from another pack, the Alpha's daughter and she was his Sigma Luna, his mate. Shortly after meeting, they finished their mating bond.

"One nice thing about she wolves is that their pregnancy only last about five months. So she quickly got pregnant and almost at the start of it, my dad had to leave to go back to his pack. The day I was born, my mom's pack was attacked. She went into labor and had me during the battle. She protected me for as long as she could, but the house she was in was one of the last houses to be it. So, she hid me, knowing my dad would find me, as that was their little getaway house, or so that was what my dad said she called it.

"After many house of the fight being over, my dad came. He had so much pain over the loss of his mate, but, unlike others who had lost their mates, he had me to raise after all, so he had to bury that pain.

"Shortly after I turned two, he found and married Judith. I know I was young, but I remember the day she came into our lives, she really took to me and protected me as her own."

"But they never had kids?"

"No, they didn't." I tilted my head to the side and looked at him.

"You know, it's my turn to ask questions, right?"

"Go right ahead."

"Who attacked your mom's pack? Why did your dad leave? And I thought mates usually moved in together right away, why didn't your parents? And does anyone else know this?"

"No!" He boomed that louder than he intended and I flinched, causing him to cringe. "I'm sorry; I didn't mean to yell like that. But, no, no one else knows but my Beta and my dad, and that is the minimum. If anyone knew, they could kill me for being just what I am or sure try."

"I understand. I promise you, I won't say a word."

"Thank you." I smiled, knowing all too well the position he was in. He looked at me, my eyes capturing him and he could feel something within him. "So back to your questions...

"Mates usually do move pretty fast in being together, true mates that is. Once you meet them, usually all thought leaves and your left with feelings, a desire to be with them." I couldn't help but blush, trying hard to stop my wayward thoughts but I couldn't help it, I really was curious if he was feeling that now, given everything.

"Fire?" I glanced from my glass of wine to him, smiling slightly.

"Yes?"

"It's not any different. I'm burning but my logic is really running things now, but make no mistake, I'm burning for you here." I crinkled my brows at that.

"You shouldn't," I whispered more to myself. "And what, are you a mind reader?"

"No, just like you, able to pick up on signs, facial expressions, body shifting." I moved in my chair which caused him to grin. "Anyway, once you actually go through the mating process, the pull is even stronger and to be away from your mate can make one go crazy. But, in this case, both of my parents, according to my dad, had to tread very carefully, being they were both Alpha's and this had never happened before."

"Did her parents, or his, not know?"

"No, they all thought that it was just a random person. When my dad had seen her, it wasn't in her pack, it was in a whole different town. But they knew what each other was. Outside of being mates, they really did love each other.

"My dad was having issues back at his pack, rouge attacks; it was if something had played with their minds mentally. My dad said it was strange but he could not leave his pack, so he had to help fight, even though that meant leaving his mate.

"My parent's packs weren't enemies, but they weren't allies either," he paused as the waiter cleared everything and left the bill. Both hands tried to reach for it and Grayson smirked. "I asked, I get to pay."

"So this was like a date." Grayson shrugged and laid his card on the table.

"I wouldn't mind calling it a date. Even co-workers have them." I leaned back and nodded.

"Well played. Now, please go on."

"When my dad went to my mom's pack, no one was left alive, not one person. Which is highly unusual for wolves, our nature is to kill the heads and once their top notches are gone, we take over the pack. But the only wolves that were dead were those that were from the pack, not one other body.

"There were assumptions that it could have been vampires, but as it was during the day, some vampires bodies would have been found; there was no way that vampires could have had the time, not in one swoop. Even the burning of the houses was almost at the same time. It had the flair of a vampire attack, but not the precision.

"It was even discussed as a witch family attack for the way the precision was and even how some of the bodies lay. There were even wolves in mid shit, and there were even full wolves who were killed. That alone is a hard task unless you got the skills to do that, but when tested, there was no magic in the air." He stopped and I stared hard at him, my eyes opening wider slowly every second.

"Wait, are you saying, an entire pack was murdered, and no one knows of it and no one knows who the hell did it?" Grayson played with his glass and nodded.

"To this day, no one knows."

"Grayson, that is unheard of; it's never happened in all of history."

"Tell me something I don't know." I leaned on the table and watched closely and intently. There seemed to be a unique past to both him and I, but no clue what it meant. I was almost starting to think that our being mated wasn't random by any means; almost!