Chapter 7 - The invitation

I glanced down at my phone as it beeped and sighed, finally glancing at the time. Grayson and I had been away for almost three hours and that was a while to be away from my house, although I really wanted to stay and talk some more.

"You have to go?" I looked up at Grayson and smiled.

"Seems some things have come up at my house and I have to go take care of them." He stood up when I did and held my jacket out for me again. "Thank you for everything, I really enjoyed it." He walked me outside, his hand resting on my lower back.

"So did I; I'm glad you took me up on my offer." I smiled and caught my bottom lip with my teeth.

"Grayson, I don't," I started and then stopped, taking a breath. I looked up at him, at those gorgeous eyes and smiled softly. "I don't know what all this means, but I know I'm not a fool. I still feel like there are many questions and no answers. I'm not one to ever rush into anything either."

"Neither am I, Fire, but you know, it doesn't hurt to try and forge a friendship." I nodded at that and barely brushed my lips against his cheek.

"Good night Grayson."

"Good night Fire."

-----

I dropped my jacket down as I walked through the door, not even bothering to glance up, although I felt his presence.

"Fire, good grief, you reek of a mutt."

"Did you come to lecture me Stefano, or was there something I can help you with?" I sat down on my chair and crossed my legs, merely lifting a brow as his eyes seemed to admire the view of the legs. "Stefano, please."

"Come now Fire, you are a gorgeous creature; allow me to look my fill, even if your smell isn't the best."

"I won't repeat myself Stefano, do not piss me off, I am not in the mood."

"Right, I am sorry." I waved it off, not actually having the energy to deal with him. "You know that there are creatures who want to try and rule..."

"Did you come here in hopes that I would side with you about some damn war that means nothing to me?"

"How can you be so blind? The covens are at war with each other! Do not be so stupid that you think you can escape this without choosing a side." I growled and quickly stood in front of him, my hand around his throat and within moments, I had his feet dangling off the floor.

"If anyone is foolish enough to fight me, let them! I will not choose, for you all mean nothing to me, do you understand?" I growled. "The only thing I share with you is a name, nothing more!" He grasped at my hand, trying to break my hold and that only made me madder. "Do not come to my home and think you can scare me! No one knows a damn think about me. Someone does need to govern you all useless lots though." And with that, I flung him across the room. "I am older than you Stefano; I highly suggest you learn some respect."

"Fire," he strangled out, his hand rubbing his throat, "you know I didn't come for just this."

"Stefano, what you and I once had, no longer exists; it hasn't in about 10 years. Please find someone else to warm your bed." And with that, I turned on my heel and made my way back to my wing of my house. God damn, what a day!

-----

I leaned back in my desk chair as I recalled the events of yesterday; from Grayson to Stefano. There was a vampire war coming, many had already seen it brewing, but it wasn't the first I had seen, and doubtful it would be the last.

Many vampires were young and foolish and thought we needed some kind of controlling, but no one was fit to lead, not any ancient or elder. Vampires were selfish creatures, always looking out for themselves or their coven, but never for the greater good.

I tapped my nails on the desk as my mind shifted from them to Grayson; whose scent still lingers in the air. I stood up and walked to my window, too lost in my own thoughts to appreciate the gorgeous view of the sunset.

What in the world was going on with Grayson? In 1800+ years I never thought about a life partner, a beloved, and sure as hell no god damn werewolf. Sure, I enjoyed their blood more, and they were way better in the bed, but to mate one, to have any kind of long standing relationship with one, NEVER! The mere idea was purely ludicrous. It just wasn't done and shouldn't even be given another thought. And yet, here I stand, wondering about this.

Grayson must have grown up alone, apart from everyone else, for he was too different. Being born of two high creatures would have made him faster, stronger and even smarter. His skills would have outshined everyone else's and Tyler would have known that.

And then there was Tyler; how much did he know? Would Grayson even mention this? What would Tyler say? Think? Even do? He could have killed Grayson, but never did and there had to be a reason why, something that went on beyond just a mate and a child.

I sighed and slowly shook my head, my thoughts nearly running every which way and for the first time in a long while, I wish I had those two witches around to talk to, to seek advice from. For as absurd as the idea was to even go down this path with Grayson, there was something telling me to walk it.

"Wow, in a skirt you look amazing but in pants....that ass." I lifted a brow as I turned around, the smell of roses closing around me.

"Checking out my ass, huh?"

"Well, yesterday, I admired your legs, so, yes, in those pants, I admired your ass; although, I'm trying to decide what I like better."

"Funny, Grayson, funny. What brings you by?"

"This." Grayson walked over and handed me an envelope that had the official seal of the Blue Moon Pack. I opened it and lifted a brow at the invitation. "It's a black tie affair, Fire and we would be honored to have you join us."

"As your mate or as your guest?"

"You could be my plus one, I wouldn't mind."

"Yeah? What would your parents say to that?"

"My mom would probably be pissed, but my dad would probably smirk and clap me on the back saying 'job well done'." Something in the way he said that made me believe that Grayson might have already told Tyler about our situation.