Chapter 43 - 'Watch over you'

I swallowed hard as I felt the anger course through me and I knew Grayson had found out something and it was enough to highly upset him. I could feel the shouting but I couldn't hear it, not within these walls, which was interesting given that as a vampire, we could hear so well. I risked a quick glance to make sure no one else had caught onto anything either. But, no, all eyes were still focused on us.

"You really are such a beautiful creature Fire; I can't wait to get to know you better tomorrow, especially since you are now part of my world." I tilted my eyes as I looked at him.

"Why would you say that?"

"Everyone who comes to my parties usually stays; you are staying right, my dear?"

"I'm sorry; I had no intention of staying. I have a very important meeting that I must fly back home for. And I can't postpone it."

"No, Fire, I insist you stay, you simply must. I have waited too long to have you in my arms. And I know there is another gentleman who would like to very much talk to you." I didn't falter in my step but I could feel my fear pushing against me. Something was not right here, something was going on but I had no clue how, I just knew that I didn't want myself or my team staying and we had to get far away.

"You mean, there is someone who is not here, that you want me to meet?"

"Yes. He was been watching you and can't wait."

"Oh." I knew of nothing else to say to that, but I knew something wasn't right. Who else would be watching me and why? I wasn't anything special; unique sure, but that wasn't enough to put me on many people's radars. And most of the time people knew my name because of my age, nothing more.

"You don't sound thrilled?"

"Worried, slightly."

"No need Fire. He is a good friend of mine, has helped me out in many ways, and he has much need of you." I glanced around and then looked at him as he pulled me closer. I stared into his eyes, seeing a fire blazing within their depths and I knew something was horribly wrong.

"While that is sweet and I thank you for trying to put me at ease, I haven't lived this long by not being cautious." He tilted his head as he regarded me, his smile slowly changing his features and I quickly stopped the dance and took a step back.

"You are quite the character if you think you have managed to do all of this on your own. He has been the one to watch over you." I swallowed hard at that. I knew he wasn't talking about Sol, which means there was another force I wasn't aware of and really didn't like that.

"Excuse me; I need to run to the restroom."

"Let me escort you." I gave him a fake smile of thanks, but my stomach was rolling and no clue why. Nothing in my past had ever caused anything like that. He walked me to the bathroom and smiled.

"I will only be a moment."

"Oh, no worry, I will wait for you. I won't let you go now that I've had you in my arms; I wanted it, and you, for far too long." I nodded and entered the room. This damn vampire was certifiable. What the hell was going on? I looked around the bathroom, trying to think of any way to escape. I noticed the group had managed to get back down the stairs and was heading out, but there was no way for me to call them. And I knew that the old crazy ass was not going to let me walk out.

I sighed to myself. There was a small vent, but to travel though that, I would die of the pain. Or, I could mist and travel through that tiny window. I would just have to get far enough away to where no one would spot me.

"Damn it," I muttered to myself. That was not the plan, but no choice. I knew that was part of the other reason why I needed to be the bait; I could get out if needed.

"Fire, are you okay?"

"Uh, yes. Sorry, I will just be a few more moments." I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth against the pain, trying my best not to cry out. I quickly cracked the window open before I completely changed and slipped out the window, traveling as close as I could to the ground and away from the building.

I wasn't sure if I would be able to travel all the way to the hotel or if I would happen upon their car. But I knew that walking after my change would be the worst idea and wasn't an option at all. I ignored the pain, that even in this form; I was feeling, trying to push myself. I stopped, though, when I hit an area I thought was far enough and materialized but coming up short as the creature stepped in front of me. The wolf foamed at the mouth as his eyes shifted and I tried to look around but found no means of escaping.

"Fuck," I muttered. I had no fear against a wolf; I knew I could take him on and win. But these demons really were another breed. I watched his body as he began pacing and tired to take a step back. Although it would hurt like a bitch and I would need a lot of blood, I could mist if I had to get away.

"Stop!" I shouted as it looked like the beast was getting ready to change. It stopped, his head tilting slightly while my eyes opened a bit wider. Yeah, for some unknown reason, we could order these things, at least for small amounts of time, and it looked like it kept shocking them as well. It growled at me and then quickly came charging again.

I bared my fans and quickly ducked out of the way, causing him to fall. I turned around as he got up and meet him in the next charge, my hand pushing through the chest and taking out his heart. He fell down at my feet and I looked around, spotting no one. Odd, I had no idea where he came from, or who he was, but if I had to follow the path, I would have said he came from the back of The General's house. But why? I hadn't seen any guests who looked like demons; sure, powerful people but no demons.

"Fire." I snapped my head around and saw Grayson running to me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just had a visitor."

"We did too as we were leaving the area; one witch and one vampire in fact."

"That's different." I swayed and Grayson quickly picked me up.

"How did you get out?"

"I misted." He paused and looked at me. "I'll be fine on feeding. Just get us back to the hotel." He nodded and made his way back to the car. But I couldn't help but glance over his shoulder. And even through the distance, I saw the anger on The General's face and the glare beaming in the depths of green eyes which were turning to white.