Chapter XXIII - Mourners

╣╠

"Crazy enough to make history

Cause the world just isn't the same since we got together

And if we don't die young, we might just live forever."

Live Forever

Little Big Town

╣╠

Chapter XXIII - Mourners

╣╠.

I once loved the sunrise. I loved the sun reflecting off the sea and the bright colors that came with it. I was reminded that there were similar beauties wherever my parents were. The sky was different today. It turned blood-red like it was reflecting the battle on the sea. Narnia knew what was lost and those in denial searched.

We stood on the beach, watching the water. The waves were calm. The tide barely made a sound. Any splash of a fish or a bird captured all of our attention.

"Do you see her?" Susan asked as I scoured the water with the help of the spyglass. Nothing. Not only was there no sign of Ashton, but there was also no sign of any life at all.

Griffin's circled above the wreckage if you could even call floating splinters that, searching for any bodies left. Theo directed the sky search, riding on the backs of the Alpha leader. At the furthest point from the ship one dove. I heard Theo screaming something, though it was words I could not make out.

All the hairs on the back of my neck raised. Susan's arm held mine, hopeful that they would return Ashton to us in one piece. As they approached, I saw no smile on the Griffin's face. Only anger. He flew down, throwing the body into the sand.

Mason Hood rolled over onto his back, groaning and spitting out sand. Before he even got the water out of his lungs five arrows were pointed at him. Two angled between his eyeballs, another at his throat, the third to his heart, and Allie's final arrow nocked towards his manhood.

His family crest tattoo was on his wrist, and with one swing of a sword. He lost everything below his elbow.

"Apologies for the mess, your grace," Jaxon said over the cries of his treacherous brother, cleaning the blood off his blade with his pant leg.

"I make no complaints about punishments I do not see." I turned my back and let them drag him away. After what Mason did, a quick death was too merciful.

"Search again." I heard Susan plead with a griffin and Theo before he set off again.

I wanted to see her platinum blonde hair emerge from the water. Kicking, fighting, and swimming for her life. God's never been much for me, but if I could cash in all my prayers today. I would do it in a heartbeat. I would every well trade places with her.

"Edmund!" I heard a growl of anger that I had been anticipating.

The sound of the blast could be heard from miles away. With the castle overlooking the Eastern Sea, the entire army couldn't contain Peter if they tried.

"Where is she?!" He grabbed my collar.

"They're looking for her." I held my hand out so Susan wouldn't get between us. Peter's eyes flamed with rage. He ripped the monocular from my hand, observing the blue nothingness himself.

Susan and I saw the siren's head pop out first. The sorrowful expression told us enough so she didn't have to. Susan's gasp was what alerted Peter to see what was right in front of him as the device slipped through his fingers.