Chapter XX - Save My Soul

╣╠

"I tried so hard

And got so far

But in the end

It doesn't even matter."

In the End

Linkin Park

╣╠

Chapter XX - Save My Soul

╣╠

Rain poor from above, making it even harder to see in the blackness of the night

Rain poor from above, making it even harder to see in the blackness of the night. Torches lit through the insurgents camp all leading to a pool of water beneath the waterfall. The waterfall in the middle of the great river, this section freezed completely over in the winter, making it the only time it was quiet and peaceful; now it was at full rage, pouring thousands of gallons per minute.

The small pool was surrounded by rocks and only received dulled waves from the power of the waterfall. More insurgents than I had ever seen in one place gathered around it, hungry for the show. They hollered and cheered, drinking and eating foul smelling meats. Even after eating only berries from the forest for the past two days, I would not eat whatever it was. They were all brought to a sudden silence, I followed their watchful eyes to the two men towering over Ashton as they escorted her. Even as the most well known prisoner and the main focus in their camp, she held her head high, not showing any weakness. Her blonde hair visibly carried dirt along with her face and her wrist were bruised and bleeding from fighting after the metal cuffs they strapped her in. Even when they forced her to her knees, her stiff jaw and absent eyes seemed unbothered.

A dark hooded figure emerged from the woods next. The torches burned brighter and harder the closer they came to it. They leaned close to her face, grabbing her chin and turning her head each way. She spit in its face, making them jump back. When they did so the hood fell from its hold and the first thing I noticed was the point on its ears. Elves had been extinct from Narnia for as long as I had been alive. Their power was known to rival the White Witch herself. Her actions to deplete their population was a great pride of her reign, any other magical being was a threat to her and her line.

The elf motioned for the guards, they continued, tossing the Ashton into the water. Only now did she gasp, knowing her hands were still bounding her back. She could tread water, any limitation would certainly only hurt her.

Ash came to the surface, barely keeping her head above water. The crowd divided to let the elf through, he started mumbling and incincation, slowly growing louder with each chant, "La cendre à l'os, de la chair à la vie. De la cendre à l'os, de la chair à la vie."