Chapter X - The Company We Keep

╣╠

"Well, I don't know where to start.

'Cause now there's nothing left to say.

You put your hand on my heart.

And then you push me away."

Unsaid

Ruel

╣╠

Chapter X - The Company We Keep

╣╠

I woke with the sun as usual

I woke with the sun as usual. But today was not a usual day. For the first time, Susan invited me to her 'book club' with the ladies of the court. I know it was much less of reading and more of an excuse for "the ladies of court" to talk and have tea.

"Has your brother decided on any wedding plans yet?" One red-haired girl named Lauryn asked curiously.

"Not that I know of." Susan answers.

"I doubt he will do much of the planning, anyway," I add.

"It's not too late to stop it." Another girl named Kacey pointed out.

"You're just saying that because you fancy my brother," Susan said rolling her eyes between a spit of tea.

"I was finally making progress with him." Kacey assumes boldly.

"You mean he knows your name now?" Tessa, a girl with dark curly hair and a beautiful yellow dress that complimented her dark skin tone well.

"Shut it, Tes." "Claudia of Archenland ruined my plans to make him fall in love with me."

I set my tea down, laughing along with the other. I am no stranger to girls adoring my brother, but that didn't make it any fewer gross to hear about. I had to force out a small polite laugh at Kacey's situation.

Kacey continued with a chuckle, "Susan? Perhaps Mrs. Archenland could take a one-way trip back home... Like the extended trip, you likely urged the prodigy to take."

"How would we all feel about a stroll through the courtyard?" Susan quickly changes the course of the topic.

"What? Susan, what is she talking about?" I question, setting my tea down on the table.

Susan stands abruptly, "Lucy, can we talk outside?"

"Did I say something?" Kacey says innocently, but an evil glare hides deep in her eye, making my anger grow. "Surely your sister told you of the time she had to take the trash out, Little Queen."