Chapter VII - A Thing for Kids

╣╠

"You can see I'm blind for you

You break the rules and I'm the fool who wants you badly no matter what you do

I still love you madly

With your every move."

So Bad

Brandon Skeie

╣╠

Chapter VII - A Thing for Kids

╣╠

My brain felt like it had been scrambled up and put back together, to only remember fragments of the night before. Every time I close my eyes I see a flicker of a memory that disappears right before I can understand it. I see Ed's face, scared. I feel Theo's touch on my neck, checking for a pulse. Hear footsteps down the hall alongside mine at first I think it's Mason, but it is not. And other flashes I swear are just mixed between the dreams of the unpleasant night's sleep. I feel like I never truly slept at all.

I flinch when a light knock comes to my door. I battle the thought of just ignoring it. No one needs to see me like this. I don't even want to look at myself in a mirror.

I open the door anyway, knowing it must be of some importance if someone needs me, I'm surprised to see Allie Hood standing outside of my room.

She gives me a soft smile, and I notice the tray in her hand with tea and sugar.

"I heard what happened. I'm really sorry." She starts kindly. She motions to the tea, "My older twin brothers did a little 'experimenting' in their teenage years with some plants that aren't exactly apothecary approved."

I chuckled at the idea of Robin Hood discovering what his kids were up to between training.

Allie becomes less cautious as my laugh breaks some of her uneasy tension. "They swear by this tea, claiming it could wake a dead man."

I wince after laughing, "At this point, I'm willing to try anything. Come on in."

She accepts my invitation, setting the tea down on my bedside table. She fills two cups, one for me and one for her. Initially, I waited for her to drink a sip of hers before mine. The memories of last night leaving me to trust no one with whatever is going into my body. The tea was warm in my mouth, and by the time it went down my throat I nearly gagged and Allie did too.

She spoke between coughs, "Well, they never said it had the power to taste good."

Part of me wanted to give up, toss the tea off the balcony so I don't have to taste that ever again but I figured I'd give it a decent chance to work.

I swallowed some again, regretting it more than the first. "I'm never going to complain about Ed's cooking ever again."

Allie grinned, hiding a blush by taking a sip of tea.

"How was your night? I hope better than mine." I ask, hoping to get my mind to settle on something else for a second.

"It was nice, I've got to say. I usually hate those types of things with my brothers on one side of me and my father on the other but since they are not here, I get to dance with someone other than them."

"Protective, huh?" I ask, politely playing into the small talk.

"Yeah, it has its perks and its downfalls." She admits.