Chapter XXV - Aslan's Plan

╣╠

"I was born of the ice and snow

With the winter wolves, in the dark alone

The wildest night, I became the one

And you'll know you're mine when the silence comes

Power is Power

SZA, The Weeknd, and Travis Scott

╣╠

Chapter XXV - Aslan's Plan

╣╠

I didn't know the moment I felt the world, but I do recall the moment I woke up in another. The sky was far too bright and perfect to be in the middle of a warzone. I couldn't feel the cursing weight of water dominating my lunges or the magic that burdened my shoulders with every breath. But most importantly, not a single vein in my body was tethered to her. She had been dragged back to Tash where she belongs and I was placed here. I intended on thanking Aslan first, but part of me couldn't face the utter surprise that I was allowed in Aslan's country at all. But before I even got the chance to mourn her own death, she had to mourn the death of another.

A white and plump bear.

"Great. Now my death is going to get half the press. I can already see the news title now, ASHTON PROPHESIED PRODIGY, KNIGHT OF NARNIA and bear friend DECEASED IN BATTLE." He seemed different, but I suppose death changes you. I couldn't see his scars or battle wounds, we were stripped clean of our hardships and only our souls remained. In this case, Ben's attitude. "You couldn't give me one god damn moment? Why are you so clingy? Death isn't even a release from you.

"You're the one that inserted yourself into my heroic death."

She couldn't watch the event, but Aslan in a dream had warned her what would follow. A world without the other seemed less than a victory. Palace halls would feel dull, fighting partners wouldn't compare and half his heart would have died with her. Ben and I represented more than friendship. That's why the white witch targeted him above others. He was the most likely to save me from her.

"You left me. You bitch. You stabbed me and then you went and got yourself killed so I can't even be mad about it." Of course, they both knew it wasn't actually Ashton's brain that dove a sword through him. Her mother's actions lead to the death of them both. The watery eyes that he was trying to hide, stood the whole truth.

"Aw, little benny bear missed me." She ran to him, throwing both arms around him. "Come here."

This hug was a breath of fresh air. Her magic was left in Narnia so she could feel the warmth of his fur. They were both real and back together. No one is trying to claim their bodies or use them as puppets. The Witch was buried so deep in Tash that she would never find them and they both could spend eternity knowing they and their loved ones were safe.

"Don't cry." I softly stroked behind his ear.

"I just died, it's okay to be a little emotional, you ass." He fired back, making her chuckle.

When they broke apart this time their defenses went up as they both caught sight of an older man looking at them. His hands were folded behind his back and he looked like he wanted to appear patient, but his jittering leg had a different plan.

"Welcome home, Ashton and Ben."

Her name seemed softer in his mouth. Like it was meant to be spoken in such a manner. He flashed a delicate smile. She froze. She swore she had never met him, but her gut told her differently. She stared at him, more specifically his eyes, which were circular mirrors to her own.

"Father?"

╣╠

Because of popular demand, I will be creating an alternate ending for you guys. But in my heart, this is how I believe Ashton's story should have ended. As prophesized from the first book, Ashton would make the ultimate sacrifice to save the people she loved and her country. As sad as it is, this was her ending from the very beginning and I didn't like the idea of a world where Ben would have to live without Ash.