Chapter XV - Fate

╣╠

"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run."
Love Story
Taylor Swift

╣╠

Chapter XV - Fate

╣╠

Words of strategy flew back and forth across the table

Words of strategy flew back and forth across the table. When to go after the attackers, how to do so, what the number would look like. I stay silent thinking to myself. Truly contemplating the only opinion no one expressed.

"The next attack must be drawn out by the end of the week. We will hit them hard and end this in one battle." Edmund told his advisors. "Narnia is ten times stronger than this small pack of animals. This will not go unpunished."

"No." I voiced.

"What?" Edmund questioned.

"No, I won't let this happen." I reiterated. "Not until we have considered all options."

"Well, Mrs. Ashton, if you have any better options, please, enlighten us," Claudia says hopefully.

"Ashton," Ben called out warningly.

I breathe out slowly, "They only want me. No one else has to get hurt."

"Have you lost your bloody mind?" Edmund yells.

"It's not like I will act as the queen they want me to be. They want a copy of my mother and I am long passed that." I explain.

"Ashton, can we discuss this another time?" Peter questions, harshly standing up.

"I think it's best to do this now," I tell him, I know that if I let him stop me now, he would talk me out of it. "I'll surrender myself. One life exchanged for thousands. It just makes sense."

"You won't come back from this. Ashton, it's a suicide mission." Edmund clarified, not agreeing with my plan either.

"If that's what I have to do to protect Narnia, I'll do it," I said, trying to sound fearless

"No! Counsel dismissed, find another opinion!" He bellowed.

"Peter!" I tried to interject.

"King Peter! Don't forget that!" He yelled, directly at me. "Everyone out. Now. Ashton and I need to speak."

"You need to calm down," I advised. "You're not thinking straight."

He put both his hands on the table, letting a deep breath out. 'How am I supposed to stay calm when you want to sacrifice yourself?"

"It could save hundreds of good men and women!" I fight back.

"You don't know that!" He shouts, getting riled up again, "They are insurgents coming for the crown. Who knows if they will keep their word. The last thing we should do it give them exactly what they want."