ix, night changes.

act one, chapter nine. night changes.

olive looked so pretty with the moonlight shining upon her.

"for me?" tommy laughed nervously. "well all the ladies are, how could you not be?" he teased.

olive rolled her eyes. "why do you like the song 'perfume' by lovejoy so much?" pebble brain recently came out, and that song was always played at least twice in the car.

"because that song quite literally has crack in it," tommy scoffed. "when i listen to it, i always think 'hey, this song is like how i feel about olive when she's with charlie, because she looks at him so lovingly and i wish she could look at me like that.' and all the stuff you give me smells like you."

he rambled on. olive's cheeks blushed a pale pink.

"what do i smell like?" she asked, curious if tommy would give a joke answer, or a serious one. this was a serious conversation, but curiosity gets the best of everyone.

"cinnamon," he answered. "but not like the spice - like cinnamon rolls."

"that makes no sense."

"i'll push you off a cliff."

"oh okay," olive nodded jokingly. "sometimes i think about when we were younger. times were hell of a lot simpler, am i right?"

and their fingers brushed together,

and their faces turned to each other,

and both of them were leaning in,

and olive thought that she was finally going to do what she had been wanting to do for quite some time. because it seems like it's always been tommy -

"what are you two doing up there?" catherine walked over with a coat wrapped around her. olive temporarily forgot it was cold, and it hit her at once when tommy's touch went away.

tommy breathed shakily again. but olive was sure it wasn't because of the cold. did he lie to her about catherine?

"tommy, be careful - goodness, you're going to get a cold!" catherine exclaimed. "olive, why are you here with my boyfriend alone?"

boyfriend.

yikes, olive thought. she had done nothing to catherine (though it seemed the two just hated each other anyway), but tommy lied to her, and now olive felt bad for almost kissing someone else's boyfriend.

okay, yeah, it wasn't her fault, but -

hang on.

"you lied to me?" olive's voice quivered softly. don't cry, don't cry, don't cry. "tom, i - really? i thought you were .."

he looked down shamefully.

"right."

olive climbed back towards her window, making sure she wouldn't fall. which she really thought that she would, considering how shaken she felt.

"sorry, catherine," olive choked out. "i think you should have a talk with your boyfriend."

and with that, the window shut.

and tears were running down olive's face.

tommy watching the girl he loved close the window shut broke his heart. but this was his fault - and maybe if he hadn't lied about everything then they wouldn't be there.

he looked down to catherine, who was looking right back at him painfully. she looked as though she was about to cry, but her eyes weren't red - and her eyes weren't puffy.

was she faking this?

he climbed down carefully, making sure he wouldn't get a splinter on the way.

"i can explain -"

"do you love her, tom?"

"what?"

"do you love olive?"

and tommy was silent. the answer was yes, but saying that to the girl that he was dating didn't seem like the rightful answer. don't lie, tom..

"no."

"then stay away from her."

catherine turned around and walked back into the front door of her house, leaving tommy standing in the middle of the street with
multiple regrets.

"god, this is all my fault." he murmured to himself.

turning back around, he climbed back up the tree he previously was sitting on, and crawled back into his window, hoping betty or walter wouldn't wake up and bark.

he shut his window.

olive stood looking through it, and tommy did the same, both making eye contact for a few seconds.

olive shut her curtains.

- tommy !
my bad mans

AM I WRITING THIS GOOD BC
I FEEL LIKE ITS BAD...