Chapter 13

Ah, life. It works in mysterious ways, huh?

...

Alright, no excuse. I just forgot. My bad.

But like, can we take a sec to acknowledge that I also update my other book today, so I'm on a roll! I usually update them separately, but not today! Ah yes, the joyous feeling of hitting the publish button.

Up there is Alex's job, just a part of the cafe. That's the general design and layput, but replace orange with white, or black if that's your brain. You can imagine what you want, but this is what I'm imagining as I write. 

Please enjoy (despite it literally taking more than a month)

- Foxx

~

I sighed, already dreading walking through the doors of the dreaded cafe. I couldn't procrastinate any longer, and I had to go back to work.

Every time I clocked out, it was a relief. I hated working there. My coworkers chipped away my self-esteem, and apparently my paycheck, as everything I messed up docked my pay.

Pushing open the back door, I walked through to the changing rooms, and exchanged my shirt for the uniform, once again struggling to tie my apron. As I was trying to find the right loop to pull the fabric through, Caden, a coworker, strolled in. 

His bleached blond hair was permed and styled in a way that I supposed was supposed to make him look attractive. It definitely didn't do anything to make his poop colored eyes seem prettier. 

He was just as bad as Jocelyn, if not worse. He mainly snatched tips from me, collecting the cash from the tables before I could get to them. Ms. Kim told me she'd look into it, but she hadn't, and I didn't want to annoy her by asking again. 

I tried to brush past him, but he snagged my shoulder, and shoved me against the lockers. My first reaction was to laugh at him. I wanted to ask if we were still in highschool, because it was so childish. But I wasn't able to, as the force of his push sent pain blaring up my should, and for a few moments I was scared ti had popped from it's socket. 

"What's the rush faggot?" He sneered. 

I really wanted to comment on how immature he sounded, but he grip tightened on me, and I winced. "I'm- I'm going to be late for my shift," I said, trying to sound defiant, but my voice was too small. 

Caden rolled his eyes. "And? When have I cared about things like that before?" He leaned closer. "I'd better have $50 worth of tip before I clock out tonight."

He released me, and walked out the room. I sighed. My shift started a 6. I clocked out at 10. That would be almost all the money I would make in the short 4 hours I worked. But I didn't like conflict al that much. And I needed the work, so it wasn't like I could quit. Continuing to work meant getting along with my coworkers, and if I need to give some money to make it happen, I would. 

Rubbing the shoulder that had een slammed into the locker, I winced when it throbbed that the slightest bit of pressure. I wanted check on it, but I couldn't afford to be any later. I grabbed my order pad and pen, then walked out on the floor. 

The cafe was pretty big, and didn't exactly give off the cozy vibe you'd expect from a cafe. It was very modern looking, with polished white marbled tiles, glossy black tables, black and white walls, and large open floor to ceiling windows. It's vibe was like being at a rich friends house. You didn't want to touch anything, because you were scared it would break or something. 

It was a place on people with money to waste on food that would only cost $10 anywhere else could go to. 

My first table seated a mother daughter pair, the daughter with her nose in her phone and the mother scanning the menu. They were both dressed in expensive brands, and I prayed for a high tip form them.