Chapter 15

Feels like I updated yesterday, but it's already been like two weeks. Jeeeeeez.

I'm out of school, let's gooooo!!! No more stress for three months!

Cliffhanger? Y'all want one? I'll see what I can do. 

Please, enjoy!

~

A knock on my door startled me from a dream about pandas in wigs. I sat up, disgruntled, glancing at the alarm next to my bed. 

7:53 a.m.

Too early for a Friday, when my shift started at 10 a.m instead of 9. And Jacob said he would be there at 9:30 to pick me up.

Rubbing my eyes, I slipped from bed, shuffling barefoot to the front door. I looked through the peep hole, surprised when I saw my neighbor. He lived two doors down, and was around five years older than me. We hardly ever spoke, beside the normal neighborly greeting every now and then.

He stood on front of my in a t-shirt and some sweats, his black hair ruffled up and wild looking. I noticed for the first time his nose and lip piercing, both black. He was taller than me, similar to Jacob in height. 

"Hey, I'm Weston, your neighbor," he said, holding out his hand.

I reached out and gave it a quick shake before retreating. "Alestar. Can I help you?" I just wanted to go back to sleep. 

"Sorry for bothering you so early, but do you have a phone I could borrow?"He asked, scratching the back of his neck. 

It took me a second to process what he was saying. "My phone?"

"Yeah, um, mine is damaged, and I have an important call to make," he explained. Or maybe that was an attempt at an explanation that failed spectacularly because I was still not understanding. He couldn't have waited until later in that day?

But it's not like I would kill me to lend him my phone. "Give me a second," I said, closing the door to walk back to my room. I took my phone from the end table, unplugging it and unlocking it. I went to the phone app as I walked back to the door, so he could enter the number without going through all of my stuff. 

Opening the door, I held my phone out, and he took it, thanking me. He dialed a number, and it looked like the person picked up, because he took a few steps away before talking. Not that I heard a single word of his conversation. I leaned my head against the doorframe, my eyes somehow slipping closed. 

I didn't fall back asleep, but my mind drifted, giving me the comfort of sleep while still remaining conscious of the world. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, and that bummed me out. There wasn't really anything for me to do while I waited for Jacob. Showering and getting dressed only took thirty minutes. 

A throat was cleared, and I opened my eyes. Weston was in front of me, holding out my phone. I took it back.

"Thanks again," he said, giving me a smile before walking back to his apartment. I stepped back onto mine, shutting the door, locking it, and shuffling back to my room. 

I jumped onto my bed, sinking into its comfort.

And I was proven wrong.

I did fall back asleep.

~

The next time I woke up, my phone was ringing. I felt around for it, finding it, and accepting the call without opening my eyes. 

"Hello?" I said, not ready to get up. 

"Alex? You're not still it bed, are you?"

I shot up at the sound of Jacob's voice. My eyes darted to the alarm clock.