CHAPTER 25

Teehee, went ghost again... and summer is almost over. Sighhhh
Back to the grind ig
Enjoy le chapter~
- Foxx
~
Jacob P.O.V
~
I led Alex inside, guiding him with a hand on the small of his back. He let out another big yawn, causing my brows to furrow.

"Alex, did you stay up late again?" I asked as I shut the door behind us, slipping off my shoes before setting them on the rack.

He avoided eye contact. "Yeah... sorry, I was really into a video game and I lost track of time."

That made me raise a brow. "Oh really? Have you been invested in this video game since your exams ended? Because you've seemed very tired since then."

"It's... it's a very good game...?" He phrased it as a question, still not looking directly at me. It was obvious he was lying.

"Hm. What's the name of your game?"

I watched his eyes dart around the room. "Walls.. Ceiling versus Floors."

Fighting a smile, I stared at him until he finally turned toward me. "Alestar. You stayed up late every night playing a came calling Ceiling versus Floors?"

"I- yes..."

Sighing, I grabbed his hand, and led him over to living room, and turned on his TV. "Show it to me."

"Show you my game?" Alex echoed, eyes widening.

"Yes. Show me the game." I sat down, looking expectantly at him. He chewed his lip, looking from me to the TV. 

After a couple minuted passed with us just sitting there, I gave him an out. "Does the game exist?"

He was still for a moment, before shaking his head, looking down at his feet.

"So you're losing sleep due to another reason." Not a question. I knew he was losing sleep. He looked ready to fall asleep were he was still standing by the archway. 

I got a nod as an answer.

"Will you tell me what it is?"

A little more lip biting, and then another shake of his head.

"That's alright. But you are going to sleep now." If I was his Daddy, I would've pushed more, until he told me what was wrong. But I wasn't, and if I pushed too hard now, he wouldn't ever be open to the possibility of more. 

Pushing up from the couch, I walked over to him, and heaved him into my arms. He yelped, flailing for a bit until I got him settled on my waist. 

"Jacob!" He wriggling around."Put me down! You might drop-"

I chuckled. "I won't if you stop moving like that. You need to relax."

"But-"

"Shh. Relax," I chided, using a hand to press his head to my shoulder. He settled his head there with a bit more urging, and I walked to the kitchen. He truly didn't weigh much. I easily prepared a sippy full warm rice milk, and gave it to him while I walked around. 

I didn't have a destination, but I knew the motion of being carried would be enough to send him to sleep. 

It wasn't even five minutes when I felt the sippy sliding down my chest slowly, Alex's hand slowly dropping. My hand shot up to catch it before it fell to the floor. Long, deep exhale's were hitting my neck, and I knew he had knocked out. 

In his room, I moved over to the bed, drawing back his covers before gently laying him down. He scrunched his face up and rolled around, making soft sounds as he settled into a comfortable position. Once he looked done, I drew the covers up. 

I left the room, not shutting the door but leaving it a smidge open, so I could hear if he needed me. 

Outside of his room, I finally got a look at his apartment. It was messy, messier anything I knew Alex was okay with. Dishes piled in the sink, the trash was overflowing with takeout containers, there was stuff all over his counters and dining room table. It was as if he was holing up, refusing to go out unless it was to meet with me or Carly. 

I unbuttoned my shirt before starting to tidy up. I wished I had brought my sweatpants, my suit pants becoming uncomfortable as I bent to get things off the floor. 

The dishes were easy enough. I rinsed them quickly before starting the dishwasher. I cleared the trash off his counters and wiped them down. 

Just as I finished tying up the second trash bag, I heard small whimpers coming from Alex's room. I washed my hands as fast as I could, drying them on the dishtowel over my shoulder. 

I wasn't fast enough. By the time I had a pacifier in hand, he was crying hard. I dashed into his room, turing on the light, but saw nothing except Alex curled up, shaking under the covers.

Moving closer to the bed, I sat on the edge, moving the covers from his head. He still looked-half asleep, eyes glazed over as they peeked at me. 

"S-sorry D-D-Daddy," he hiccuped through a sob, making me freeze. Hope and elation fluttered through my chest, but I knew he wasn't fully conscious. I would bet money that his awake self wouldn't ever do that. 

Nevertheless, I reached forward, pushing his hair off his forehead. "What're you sorry for? You haven't done anything bad."

He sniffled hard, his breath catching in his chest before he could exhale. "D-didn't finish aw m-miwk."

I realized then that he was probably referring to something his former person had done to him. That man had punished him for not finishing a bottle? Anger flared, and all I wanted to do was hunt him down and make him regret ever laying his eyes on Alex. 

But a soft cry jerked me out of my thoughts, and I returned all my attention to Alex. I continued carding my fingers through his lovely hair, hushing him. "You did nothing wrong baby. I'll make you a new bottle later, and you won't have to finish that one either."

I cupped his face and used my thumbs to wipe away his tears. Even after they were gone, I kept up the motions, just stroking his face. After a while, his breathing slowed and evened out, with his eyes drooping low. Gently slipping the paci I brought into his mouth, and his eyes shut completely. 

Still, I didn't stop. At one point I tried to, and he immediately started whining. As I comforted him, my thoughts flashed to his a*s of a caretaker. 

I would find him.

And when I did...

~