Chapter 1: Mystery

3rd Person P.O.V.

Deep within the the black mountains, deep within the night beneath the cold, dark waters of the Ancient Olt, the River Witches sang.

"Son of Atlan and Earth, leave your sleep, 

The ways of childhood no more to keep, 

The dream will die, a nightmare rise, 

Sleep no more child, open your eyes"

From her place in the shadows, the Elder, Atropos watched the blue waterfire, her bright eyes restive and alert. 

"Vino, un rau. Arata-te" she muttered in her age-old tongue. Come evil, show yourself. 

Around the waterfire, eight river witches continued their song. Hands clasped they counterclockwise in a circle, their powerful tails pushing them through the water. 

"Son of Atlan, Chosen One. 

The end begins, your time has come. 

The sands run out, our spell unwinds, 

Inch by inch our chants unbind"

"Vin, diavoulul, vin" Vraja growled, drawing closer to the circle. "Tu esti langa....te sint....." Come, devil, come.....you're near....I feel you....

Without warning the waterfire rose, its flames licking out like serpents tongues. The witches bowed their heads and tightened their grips on one another's hands. Suddenly one of them, the youngest, cried out. She doubled over as if in great pain. 

Vraja knew that pain. It tore inside like a sharp silver hook. She swam to the young witch, "Fight it, draga" she told her "Be strong!"

"I....I can't. It's too much! Gods help me!" the witch cried. Her skin, the mottled grey of river stones-paled. Her tail thrashed wildly. 

"Fight it! The circle must not break! The Iele must not falter!" Vraja shouted

With a wrenching cry, the young witch raised her head and wove her voice more into the chant. As she did, colors appeared inside the waterfire. They swirled together, coalescing into an image-a bronze gate, sunk deep underwater and crusted with ice. A sound was heard-the sound of a thousand voices, all whispering. 

"Shokoreth....Amagitor.....Caheon...."

Behind the gate, something stired, as if waking from a long sleep. It turned its eyeless face to the north and laughed. 

"Shokoreth....Amagitor.....Caheon...."

Vraja swam close to the waterfire. She shut her eyes against the image, against the evil and the fear. Against the coming of the bloodred tide. She dug deep inside herself and gave all she had, all she was, to the magic. Her voice strengthened and rose above the others, drowning out the whispering, the cracking of the ice, the low and gurgling laughter. 

"Son of Atlan, Child of Sea and Earth, find the five, 

Brave enough to keep hope alive, 

One whose heart will hold the light, 

One possessed of a prophets sight, 

One who does not yet believe, 

Thus has no choice but to deceive, 

One with spirit sure and strong, 

One who sings all creatures songs.

Together find the stones,

 Belonging to the Six who Ruled, 

Hidden under treacherous waters, 

After light and darkness dueled

These pieces must not be united, 

Not in anger, greed, or rage. 

They were scattered by brave Atlan, 

Lest they unlock destructions cage

Come to Fate from seas and rivers, 

Become one mind, one heart, and one bond. 

Before the waters, and all creatures in them, 

Are laid waist by Chthon!"

The thing behind the bars screamed with rage. It hurled itself against the gate, the impact sent shockwaves through the waterfire and into the witches. The force tore at them viscously, threatening to break their circle, but they held on fast. The thing thrust its hands through the bar, as if it wanted to reach inside Vraja and tear out her heart. The waterfire blazed higher, then all at once it went out. The thing was gone, river was silent. 

One by one the witches sank into the river bed. They ley in the soft mud, gasping, eyes closed, fins crumbled beneath them. 

Only Vraja remained, floating where the circle had been. Her wrinkled face was weary, her old body bent. Strands of grey hair loosed from a braid of long twisted like eels around her head. She continued the chant alone, her voice rising above the water, ragged but defiant. 

"Son of Atlan and Earth, leave your sleep, The ways of childhood no more to keep. Wake now child, find the five, While there's time, keep hope alive. Wake now child, find the five, While there's still time, keep hope alive. Wake now child.....