Chapter 2 - I want to marry you

PIHA'S POV:

I peel my eyes open as sun rays hit them. I wonder where I am, I wish I'm dead but that doesn't look like the case.

"Pihu beta (my child) you're awake." A melodious voice falls onto my ear.

"Mridhula aunty?" I say and try to get up from the sleeping position of mine. Mridhula aunty is Roman's mom and she's one of the sweetest people I've ever met.

"Piha be careful." I hear another familiar voice from my left side. And he helps me to get up. Rahul Bhaiya (elder brother), Roman's elder brother and his best friend. Why do they have to be so sweet even though I've killed their son and his brother?

"Beta how do you feel now?" Sarvesh uncle asks me.

My eyes become moist when I'm reminded of reality.

HE'S DEAD PIHA.

"Dead from within," I reply as a lone tear escapes my eye. "Aunty Uncle Bhaiya, I-I don't know what to say... Y'all can sue me I won't complain, I don't deserve anyone's love, I'm the reason you lost your son, your brother-"

I CAN'T

I breakdown right in front of them. It breaks my heart, the image of him covered in blood, not being able to breathe, talking about death.

"Piha how can it possibly be your fault, we all know how much you love him, that your life revolves around him and vice-versa. Tell us what exactly happened. The nurse told us it was an accident, we saw the body."

"Bhaiya he's our Roman, don't you dare call him 'the body'."

I know he's sad, I know he can't take it, he wants to die. I see thick tears leave his eyes. It reminds me of his last words, 'PIHA DON'T LOVE ME', 'DON'T THINK ABOUT ME TOO OFTEN'. He's not with me anymore.

"Piha, why?! Wh-why does it have to be us? Why did he die, he's the best human I've ever met." He says, still crying. "We used to tease each other, annoy each other, I used to randomly call him to say nothing and cut the call, or rant about how bad he cooks. He was the first person I would call when anything happened, even for the most minor thing, if I'm angry I'd vent out everything on him and compose myself. Last night I dialled his number to rant about my terrible day, only to be reminded he's gone."

I hug him and rub his back.

"Bhaiya don't cry he won't be able to see you like this, right?" He suddenly pulls back.

"Piha, I'm sorry, we had to lie to your parents, they called me when you and Roman weren't attending the call I told them your phone broke, I think you should be the one to tell them."

I nod. MY FAMILY. They were very fond of Roman, I remember Roman saying 'I can't wait to become their son-in-law'.

ROMAN. His name used to make my knees go weak and now it makes my heart go weak.
I check my phone.

6th August

I gasp. For 4 days, I was unconscious.

"Did you do the rituals?" I ask them.

"Yes." I wouldn't be able to see his burning body anyway.

"I'm sorry to trouble y'all, thank you, I don't think I deserve to be associated with y'all any longer." I say with tears threatening to leave my eyes. I consider them my family too, there wasn't a moment where I felt left out.

"Not daughter-in-law but you're still like our daughter, aren't you?" I smile at that.

"I think you should leave for Pune."