Chapter 7 - There I come Pune

@SAWAI MANSINGH INDOOR STADIUM, JAIPUR

RAGHVANSH'S POV:

"Well played mate!" I pat Shim Dae-Hyun's arm as we shake hands.

"Common Raughvanch, it's what you say after every match. Why doesn't your team let anyone peacefully win?" He says in his Korean accent as we share a laugh and join our respective teams.

Dae-hyun is the Vice-captain of Korea. We've pretty much known each other from our Under 19 years.

Today was the last match of the India-Korea Rivalry Series but I don't see any rivalry, politically or game-wise. IKCB (Indian Kabaddi Control Board) has stopped making sense to me nowadays.

Anyway.

We won the series by 4-0, the first was a draw and the rest were won by our side, INDIA.

I flash the camera in my direction a fake smile as some former players pounce upon me, ready to throw their questions. A man comes and attaches the microphone to my jersey as we get ready for a small chat.

"Are we good to go?" The cameraman asks Ashok Kumar, a legend of Indian Kabaddi and he raises a thumb.

He starts- "Here we have the man we have been waiting for all evening, Raghvansh Birla. So skipper, first of all, congratulations to you and your team for this iconic win. I'm sure it must be a great feeling and what was the team's mindset before entering the mat?" He points his microphone towards me.

Dude.

Didn't that guy just attach one to my jersey??

Nevermind.

"Yes, indeed it was a great feeling. Playing at home after all these months, that too in front of Jaipur's crowd- it can't be defined in words." I place my hands on my waist.

I continue- "I guess our talk this morning was all about showing our character and doing our best. We knew that the series was in our hand but not performing our best- is not something a number one team does. It was like an usual match to us apart from we performed not to win the trophy but hearts."

I say and immediately cringe at my statement.

Why would I say that?

"We're glad to hear that Raghvansh. We'll leave you now so you can catch up with the squad." I nod and join the team as we pose in front of the banner displaying-

CHAMPIONS - India Korea Rivalry Series

I hear the crowd roar as Tejas, who debuted this series lifts the trophy.

Yup, we have an unofficial rule which states only debutantes are allowed to lift the trophy because the the management thinks we bully the youngsters. I inwardly Chuckle. Still less than the Board bullies us.

"Raghvansh, congratulations to you." Rizwan's voice falls onto my ear. "Another super 10 to your list. How long are you going to be the reason for our wins?"

I let out a laugh and say- "Stop it, man, it's teamwork. Every single one has contributed to the wins." I engulf him into a bear hug and greet the rest of the team.

"Raghvansh Sir it's time for the post-match conference." I hear our team manager call me.

I groan and head towards the interview space.

________________

An hour later
[9:55 PM]

I let out a happy sigh as I mentally push the media guy off the cliff.

I don't get why they can't keep their words to themselves. As you might have assumed, yes, I hate the media. Not just the media but everything involved in the game outside the 13×10 meters mat.

Let me just give you a small summary of the match.

We won the match by 42-31 points which is low scoring, I know. Anyway, I hit the mark again.

Mark??

Super 10.

Going descending on the scoreboard, I scored 16 points, Rizwan, Ishaan and Tejas scored 13 points altogether whereas 13 by defence plus all outs.

Man of the match who?? Me. I smile at the little thought.

Currently, we are on the team bus heading to the airport as Kaushal and I have our flight to Pune at around 11:30 PM. I put on shades as the airport comes to my sight.

All I want to do is lay on my bed and do nothing. Finally, there I come Pune.

~√~√

Picture note*

Sawai Mansingh indoor stadium:

Authors note*

Hey, hope you're doing well!
Do vote and leave a review if possible.
Let me know, what you think of Raghvansh (-;
The next update will be out on 23th, Sunday.

Let me know, what you think of Raghvansh (-;The next update will be out on 23th, Sunday