Chapter 6 - Is she your wife?

PIHA'S POV:

Huff.

Finally.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but this report was quite lengthy.

The work today mostly included a comprehensive medical history evaluation of patient and diagnostic imaging MRIs.

I check the digital clock on my table and yawn.

7:30 PM

Still 30 minutes to go. My 12 hour shift ends at 8 PM.
So I have quite a while to explore the ortho ward right now.

I crack my knuckles and picking up the report file, I put it in my backpack. I close the door behind me and click a picture of my office door and send it on my family group.

Looking around I take a little sneak-peek of the wards.

I open the door of ward 16. The nurses and junior doctors bow in greeting.

THAT MAKES ME FEEL OLD.

I see a young boy, approximately 9 years old and assume the nurse was getting him ready for an operation. I could see a lady in her 30s near the boy.

"Mom, I don't want to go inside that room, it will pain so much." He says with teary eyes. "No beta, you won't even know when it is over." I smile at the mother-son bond.

I take a seat near the boy's bed and pick up his report.

FLAT FOOT

Oh.

"What's your name young boy?" I ask him with an appealing smile.

He lookes at his mom as if asking for permission. "Vihaan."

"Vihaan, what a beautiful name. So Vihaan do you know the things you could do after this operation."

He mouths me a 'no'.

"You will be able to run as fast as a cheetah, then you can show all your friends how quick you are, you can win races. You can go for trecking or camps and have lots of lots of fun. You can do everything you couldn't do till day. How does that sound champ?"

He grins and looks at his. "Mom, then would you allow me join our school football team?"
His mom nods and he hugs me. I pat his back.

"Good luck Vihaan." I say and take my leave.

I smile to myself as close the ward door behind me.
It's beautiful how a little kid can light your day up.
I hope he recovers soon. Another memory hits me-

//Flashback//

We continue to swing our intervened fingers back and forth as we walk in his society's sandpark. I sense him stop in his track.

"What's wrong, Roman?" I turn sideways.

"Pihu, look at her." Roman points at a little kid grinning. "Why do kids have to be so goddamn cute?!"

I take a look at the young girl as she pats the wet sand moulding it into a castle. A smile grazes my lips and I go into an 'aww'. I drag him as we go and greet her.

"What's your name Princess?" Roman asks her. "And why are you all alone here, where are your parents?

She scans us for minute and replies-

"Dad is attending a phone call so I'm playing alone and my name is Ruhi. What is your name?"

"Ruhi, what a beautiful name, as beautiful as you. My name is Roman and she's Piha." He points towards me as I flash her smile.

"Piha? It's suits you a lot." She diverts her gaze towards him. "Is she your wife?

What???

I feel the temperature on my cheeks rise.

"No." He pauses. "Not yet."

He smiles at me cheekily. I gesture Roman as I see a man coming towards us, probably her father.

I see Ruhi hug him as she squeals. "Dr Roman! Long time since we last met." I watch them shake hands. "I hope she didn't cause you much of trouble."

"No, Mr Gandhi, she's very sweet." They smile.

He looks at me as I nod acknowledging him and he returns it. Roman excuses himself and we continue our little tour around his wing.

"My love, I'd die to have a little version of you someday. You know what I mean?" He whispers into my ear as I turn to dark shade of crimson.

//Flashback ends//

I smile remembering the way Roman used to tease me on every single thing. I check my wrist watch.

7:55 PM

I should submit the reports and leave I guess. I make my way only to collide with a hard chest.

~√~√

Authors note*

Hey, hope you're doing well!
Do vote and leave a review if possible.
The next update will be out on 21th, Thursday.