The Letter

Everleigh
"I am about to ask you a huge favor but before I do, know that you can say no and I will not blame you or be mad. And I know it's really unfair of me to ask this of you... but I need to ask you."

"Okay..."

"My mother has asked me to come to dinner on Friday and I know she wants to talk about what I said to her in the last letter I sent. Father and her are not pleased with me and if I go alone... It'll be all they talk about." Regulus pauses and takes another look at the letter before continuing.

"I know it's probably the last thing you want to do... but would you consider coming with me? It's short notice and you've heard so many stories about my parents so I understand if you don't want to."

I don't think I've ever seen Regulus this nervous before. I reach out and take his hands and lean up and give him a kiss.

"Of course I'll come with you dumb ass." I say when I pull away.

His body relaxes a little and his face changes from worry to a small smile.

"There's one more thing... I should probably tell you before we go  in case they bring it up." Regulus says but he doesn't look like he wants to tell you. It's like he's having a mental battle with himself about what to do.

"Don't tell me right now." I interrupt. "Tell me before we go if you want to. If you don't want to and they do bring it up, just know I won't judge you or be mad."

He's looking at me unsure for a moment but then nods his head.

"You will be mad... no matter how badly you try to understand it." He says.

"Are you going to tell Sirius that you're going home?" I ask him.

"Should I tell him? I don't want to make things complicated. We finally started getting along."

Regulus' vulnerable side is so pure and I'm so thankful he feels safe enough to show me it.

"You should tell him." I say. "At least then he can help you if you need it or you guys can at least talk about it when we get back."

"I have you to talk about it with." Regulus says.

"You'll always have me.. but you know Sirius might relate better than me."

"I'll think about it. I don't want him to worry though."

"But you're okay with me worrying?" I tease.

"Yes. You're the only person I can talk to about anything and everything so I tell you things. You worry even if I don't tell you so I might as well just tell you."

"I feel honored to be the only one who knows anything and everything." I say.

"You should be."

"Am I coming so that they won't talk about whatever it is you're trying to avoid?" I ask him.

At first, he looked at me with worry in his eyes again. Whatever his parents want... it's causing him a lot of pain. His face softens and he hands me the letter from his mother and when I look at him to make sure he's sure about this, he nods his head. He's letting me read the letter.

I take it from him and before I open it, Regulus moves to the other side of the room again.

-

Regulus,
I'm not sure where you got the idea that you have a choice in this but if it's from your brother, forget it.

We will discuss this matter further on Friday night because you are expected to join us for dinner.

Don't disappoint us.

Walburga

-

Regulus watches me from the other side of the room as I read the letter from his mother, and then re read it because it's so short... but at the same time, it's cold. She seems incredibly entitled and rude.

"She seems absolutely lovely." I joke, setting the letter down on the bed beside me and crossing the room to join Regulus.

I wrap my arms around him and hold him close, resting my head under his chin and on his chest. He hugs me tight and gently rests his head on top of mine. I can feel his heart beating so fast from anxiety and worry.

"You still want to come with me?" he asks.

"Of course."

"I won't be mad if you change your mind." he says.

"I'm coming with you."

He doesn't say another word but he doesn't have to. I understand. Instead of speaking, he kisses the top of my head.

A few moments of silence and standing there holding each other pass before he speaks.

"Evie?"

"Mhm?"

"You're my favourite person in this world."

My heart melts.

"You're mine too."

And that was the truth. He had indeed become my favourite person in the whole world. It's so crazy to think that not that long ago, we didn't like each other. He hung out with Bellatrix and was helping her make life miserable for me and now we're standing here, holding each other.

It's crazy that not that long ago, I wouldn't even look in his direction and now I look for him in every room I go into. He's the first person I look for in the morning and the last person I see at night. He's the person I tell everything to and probably the person who knows me best.

He's my favourite person in the world.