Stand By Me

Audrey looked around with confusion and frowned. Why was she walking around aimlessly in the woods when she had just been in Klaus's bed? She continued walking forward until a small clearing came into view. There was fog covering the meadow but she could still see something lying in the middle. As she got closer she realized it was a body. She started running now to help whoever was hurt but once she saw who the body belonged to, she collapsed onto her knees and screamed with agony.

"Jeremy! NO!" She screamed over him. He had his eyes open but blood was coming out of his mouth and nose.

"Audrey...please, help," He gasped out, struggling to breathe. She grabbed him and brought him into her lap, trying to find where he was hurt.

"Jeremy, stay with me okay? I'm going to call for help," Audrey assured her little brother through tears, brushing his hair back from his face. "You're not going to die on me."

"Aud..-," She could see the fear in his eyes as he tried to hold on. He gasped out loudly before a peaceful expression overtook his face. His eyes glazed over and his body went limp.

"Jeremy? No, no, no! Jeremy!" She screamed and cried as she held onto her brother. "Please don't leave me! Somebody help me!" The wind began to pick up dramatically as a storm quickly approached them, and right as the first crack of thunder rang through the air, Audrey woke up.

"AUDREY!" Klaus's thundering voice screamed as she shot up awake, still hysterically crying. She looked all over the room in a frantic panic before her eyes landed on Klaus. The moment she saw him she unraveled and fell apart. He wrapped his arms around her tightly and brought her in as close as he could, but she still shook violently and screamed in pain. It took her over a hour to settle down and cry herself back to sleep, but once she was sleeping Klaus made sure to force a happier dream into her head. This had become their routine since Jeremy's death. Four excruciatingly long nights of Audrey dreaming of her brother's death over and over again. The daytime wasn't much better. She would spend her days laying in bed, not talking to anyone, not even moving to get up unless it was to use the bathroom. She hadn't showered and barely ate or drank anything. She was withering away slowly and no one could do anything about it. For the first time since he was human, Niklaus Mikaelson felt completely helpless. He tried brushing it off as he entered Audrey's dreams to make sure she didn't have another nightmare.

-

When sunlight flooded through the bedroom Klaus awoke, immediately checking on Audrey once he did. She was awake as well, staring blankly ahead of her. Klaus sighed and leaned down to kiss her head. She was beginning to develop a slight odor from not bathing causing him to cringe. He couldn't stand watching her deteriorate any longer, so he climbed out of bed, walked to her side, and heaved her up into his arms. She gasped from the sudden movement and quickly fixed her eyes on him, yet still said nothing. He carried her into his immaculate bathroom before setting her down on her feet. She looked up at him with curiosity swirling in her wide brown eyes, he caressed her cheek and kissed her softly as he turned to start the shower. She watched him as he made sure the water was just the right temperature before walking back over to her. "Arms up," he instructed. She did as told, raising her arms to the ceiling. He slipped her night shirt off and moved to her shorts. He hooked his fingers into her shorts and panties and dragged them down her legs slowly. She felt her limbs weaken, so she quickly reached her hands out to grab his shoulders and steady herself as she stepped out of her clothes. Once Klaus stood up he began undressing himself too and even though Audrey was depressed she still appreciated the sight of his naked body. He grabbed her hand to lightly pull her towards the shower. He stepped in first, easing into the warm water, before helping his soulmate do the same. She stepped in with him, relaxing once she felt the water hit her skin. She still said nothing as he squirted shampoo into his hands and began massaging it into her scalp. Audrey closed her eyes and relished in the feeling of her soulmate taking care of her. It was the first time in days that she felt something other than unbearable grief. Klaus had never in his life done anything like this before, yet it felt easy and natural. He made sure to cover her entire head with shampoo before helping her rinse it off. They had taken many showers together, but none like this. There was no sexual tension, no giggling or laughter. Audrey was hardly holding it together. Klaus was sure if she wasn't linked to his life and all of her friends lives, she would probably kill herself. As though she could hear his silent thoughts, she leaned closer to him and wrapped her arms around him, resting her cheek against his wet chest. He embraced her back, wanting nothing more than to shield her from anymore grief or pain she will have to face. It felt like they held each other for hours, once they finally pulled away Klaus finished cleaning her hair and body and pulled them both out of the shower. He grabbed a towel for them to dry off and cover themselves with before walking them back into his bedroom. He stepped away from her to grab clothes for the two of them while she walked over to the desk sitting in the corner of the room. One of the pictures of her and Jeremy, that she grabbed before Elena burned their house down, was perched proudly. She reached out to trace Jeremy's face and felt tears stream silently down her own. Klaus dressed himself on the opposite side of the room, watching Audrey carefully. When he was finished he grabbed the clothes he chose for her and brought them over to where she stood. He held them out for her to take but she stayed cemented still, staring at the picture sadly. Klaus sighed, grabbed her shoulders and turned her to face him. He pulled the towel away from her body and slid one of her band t-shirts over her head, along with his navy blue sweatshirt that hung loosely on her. He helped her into her panties and leggings, taking note as to how skinny she had gotten within the past couple days. Once she was dressed, he lead her downstairs into the kitchen and sat her at the island.