Until the Wolf Howls

Damon tied the man who had just tried attacking him to a tree, while Elena sprayed the ropes with something. "These ropes aren't gonna hold him much longer. What else do we have?"

"Not enough stuff to hold him. I don't think we're gonna make that Ridge before the full moon," Ric answered.

"If we can get him to talk, we don't have to," Audrey said stepping in front of the tied up man. She reached her hand out to touch him, but he jumped awake and began to scream. Damon pulled the girl back and stuck her behind him.

"Is he turning?" Damon asked.

"That's impossible, it's still day," Elena gasped.

"Tell him that," Ric stated. The man's bones began to break as he screamed and struggled against the tree. Damon stepped forward and held the man's shoulders still.

"There aren't suppose to be werewolves out here until the moon is full," Audrey said in complete shock.

"You know those ropes aren't going to hold the wolf," Ric said to Damon. He nodded but continued to watch the man try to shift.

"Damon we've got to get out of here! We have to get out of these mountains now!" Audrey shouted, but Damon still didn't move. "Damon now!" Finally he snapped out of it and backed away from the man. He turned to the group and they all took off. Nobody knew how long they were running but that it was already night. Audrey had been trailing behind everyone else but tripped over a twig and fell to the ground. Everyone stopped and turned around to help her but froze.

"Audrey, don't move," Damon said slowly. Audrey raised her head but came face to face with a werewolf. Her heart hammered in her chest as it growled at her. "Here, doggie, doggie," Damon said as he ran in the opposite direction of the group. The werewolf followed him quickly. Elena helped her sister up and tried to run again but Audrey stayed put.

"Come on. Let's keep moving," Ric said.

"We can't leave Damon," Audrey said shaking her head.

"Damon will be fine. He can handle himself," Ric insisted trying to get the girls to move.

"No. If he gets bit, he'll die. We're the reason he's out here!" Audrey argued.

"I'm the reason he's out here. I told him where we were, and I'm telling you to keep moving. Let's go girls now!" Ric finally persuaded. The girls were resistant but followed him anyways. When they reached the car Audrey was silently crying in the back seat.

"Stefan's out there somewhere and now Damon, and we're just sitting in this car?" Elena asked Ric.

"Let the vampires fight the hybrid zombie mountain man. I'll take care of keeping the humans safe," Ric answered tapping on the steering wheel. Audrey sniffled and wiped her eyes.

"I thought you were checked out of taking care of people," Audrey mumbled sniffling again.

"I know what you're doing. Don't. There doesn't need to be a lesson here," Ric grumbled, silently hoping Damon would arrive at any moment.

"You're better at it than you think, you know?" Elena stated, crossing her arms.

"Oh, boy, are you a sucker for a lost cause or what?" Ric chuckled sarcastically shaking his head.

"You're not a lost cause, Ric. You're just lost. But so is Jeremy, and Audrey, and so am I. Our family is gone. We don't have anybody. I'm sorry, but you don't have anybody either, so...we're kind of good for each other," Elena explained.