Chapter Twenty Nine: A Battle To Decide It All

(A/N) Fair warning! This chapter is really long. Apologies in advance! XD xxx

"Run that by me again!" Neil stumbles.

"What's not to get!?" Silver insists. "If you want Gold, then you'll need to battle me for him. What's the problem? You scared you're going to lose?"

"HA!" Neil scoffs."Like I'd lose to you! You're off your rocker! I'll beat you no problem. I accept your challenge!"

The crowd look at the standoff that's unfolding in front of them. Shock and awe as they mumble among themselves...

"Is that guy serious?"
"He's insane!"
"They're battling for Gold's affection! That's so cute! It's like the films!"
"There's no way Neil would lose this!"
"I'm rooting for the other guy!"

"Silver..." Crystal says tapping on Silver's shoulder. "Are you sure you know what you're doing? Neil came 3rd in the Unova League last year. He's one of the strongest trainers in our year. Only Gold is stronger than him."

"I won't lose, Crystal! No one is going to stand in my way!" Silver responds with determination.

Gold is silent. He never expected this. He doesn't really know what to think. He actually feels embarrassed. This whole thing is about him. Although, he'd be lying if he didn't admit that he likes it a little. The way Silver looked when he stormed in and pushed Neil to the floor. Challenging him for his affection. It was actually.... sexy. It actually got Gold going a little bit.

*tap tap*

Gold turns round to see Ampharos smiling at him.

"Ampharos?" Gold says with surprise. "So that's how Silver knew how to get here!"

Ampharos responds positively.

Gold giggles to himself. That was actually pretty clever. He turns back round to look at Silver.

How will this battle turn out? What if Silver loses? What will Gold do? What will Silver do? The whole thing is nerve-wracking.

Everyone is slowly making their way downstairs towards the battleground in the back courtyard. People moving tables to have food and drink tables outside for the spectators. Neil's friends crowded round him, giving him a pep talk, getting him riled up. Silver is sitting alone with his thoughts. He knows full well what's at stake. He can't lose. He won't lose. This is for Gold. This is for him. This is for their relationship. This is for their future.

***********************
After a while, the crowd has made their way to the back courtyard, surrounding the battlefield. Silver and Neil are standing at either end of the field. The crowd is loud, talking to each other and shouting their support for both competitors.

The rules decided, one of the students, not connected to either side takes the role as referee. She stands at the middle edge of the field. She raises her left hand into the air. The crowd becomes deadly silent. She is in control. She commands everyone's attention. The tension can be felt.

"The battle between Silver and Neil is about to commence. This battle will consist of 3 rounds. Each trainer will use a different Pokémon for each round. No substitutions will be allowed. The Trainer with the most wins will win the battle. Neil! Choose your first Pokémon!"

Neil takes out a Poké Ball from his pocket. A smirk appears on his face.

"Let me show you how strong I am! Dragonite! I choose you!" He shouts throwing the Poké Ball into the field. The Poké Ball opens and Dragonite takes form with a roar.