twenty-one

-Louis-

"Athena! Are you home?!" I yelled, as I knocked on her door repeatedly. I stepped away from the door and tapped my foot impatiently, hoping that she was inside and safe. I groaned loudly, walking to the door and knocking loudly again. "Athena!"

I was starting to become nervous. Since my meeting with Liam - after the choking and mind control incident - I ran to Athena's. I didn't bother to get a taxi, or even allow Liam and Harry to take me to her apartment. The soles of my feet were still buzzing from their contact with the concrete sidewalk. My entire body was shaking from the cold January air, my feet numb as I stood in front of the door.

I knocked on the door once more, before placing my ear against the cool metal door. It was silent for a moment, before I heard movement on the other side. I backed away from the door, hoping that when it opened, Athena would be there.

The door opened only a crack, before it opened a little wider, only to find Athena with dripping wet hair and a towel around her frame. "Louis? What the hell?" She said, as I walked into her apartment and closed the door behind me quickly, locking it tight. "You look really red? Did you walk here?"

"No, I ran."

"Louis! Its negative six degrees out there! Are you crazy?!" She yelled, as I ran up to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, holding her close to me, her skin setting mine on fire. I buried my face into her neck, as she stood there in surprise. "Louis?"

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, pulling away to look at her, but not letting her go. "I was just worried for a moment."

"Why? Were you worried about me? Louis, I'm fine." She assured me, moving her hand up to her chest and holding her towel in place. "I promise nothing is going to happen to me."

I wanted to believe her, but after Niall took that file, it's becoming harder to believe. But to make her happy, I nodded, telling her that I understood. She gave me a soft smile, before standing up on her tiptoes and kissing my cheek. "I'm going to go get dressed. Maybe we can order in and watch a movie?"

"Sounds good." I nodded slowly, as I let her go and watched her walk to her room and close the door softly. I ran my fingers through my hair slowly, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly. I was grateful that she was still in her apartment and safe, but for how long will this safety last?

I took my shoes off and carried them to the front door, where I left them on the black rug. Just as I walked into her kitchen to grab a takeaway menu, she walked in with her hair in a bun and her glasses on her face, along with a black oversize sweater and pajama pants.

Even in her comfortable attire she was beautiful.

"What do you want to order?" She asked, leaning against the countertop and at the menu. I remained silent, as I stared at her in awe. She looked up at me when I didn't respond and laughed when she noticed I was staring at her. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Because I can."

"It's making me uncomfortable." She laughed, hiding her face from me. She waited a few moments, before looking up and noticing I was staring still. "Louis!" She giggled, making look down and the menu and laugh.

After we decided on Chinese takeaway and had it ordered, we sat on the couch, her head resting in my lap. She flipped through the channels on the telly, her eyes fixed on the screen, as I stared at the wall, wondering how long I can keep her safe.

"There's nothing on but shitty reality shows." She complained, shutting the telly off and placing her hands on her stomach. I looked down at her hands and noticed she didn't have her cast on, which confused me. "What now?"